Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seam on Rear Fender of '53 Chief, Correct or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seam on Rear Fender of '53 Chief, Correct or Not?

So had the '53 Chief judged at Freemont and it did well but one question that came up was if the seam on the rear fender is correct. Just above and to the left of where the speedo cable exits the fender is a seam that runs horizontally across the box section on the rear fender in front of the rear wheel. It turns the corner and runs across the front of the fender, hard to show in pics. Supposedly the bike has it's original fenders and it's obvious that no one tried to hide this seam because it's fairly pronounced. Is this correct or should the seam not be there? There was another '53 there and it did not have a seam but no idea if it was original.

Thx

Jeff

I have a 51 with the less squared corner but also the seem.Not sure if mine is correct.
    If you look at Jerry Hatfields Indian resto guide figure 279,pic of 52-53 chief, you can clearly see the seem and the sharp vertical left side corner like yours.
    Tom.

Comment

Seeing that this is the area where a police siren would mount, maybe, just maybe a certain number of '53 fenders were changed at the last minute from police spec orders to non-police orders? ....and the seam is due to somebody (factory or dealer) welding in a new section of fender where the siren might have gone.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Tom you are correct, the Hatfield book does show the squared off front of the fender and there is a reflection that appears to show the seam, thanks.

Jeff

Comment

Hi,
          That seam is absolutely 100% correct, and so is the squared-off shape. On some rear fenders there is an oval shaped knock-out area, where the siren driver would go. My 53 Chief is CS6688 and it does not have the knock-out provision. From what I have seen, the knock-out tended to be on the later second group of 1953 Chiefs that have the five digits starting with CS61000; but I don't know if the change to the knock-out was a clean 4-digit, 5-digit switch, or just a simple running change made at some random time in production.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
            Hi,
            That seam is absolutely 100% correct, and so is the squared-off shape. On some rear fenders there is an oval shaped knock-out area, where the siren driver would go. My 53 Chief is CS6688 and it does not have the knock-out provision. From what I have seen, the knock-out tended to be on the later second group of 1953 Chiefs that have the five digits starting with CS61000; but I don't know if the change to the knock-out was a clean 4-digit, 5-digit switch, or just a simple running change made at some random time in production.
            At least three variations of the skirted rear fender I am aware of,aside from differences in siren hole and speedo cable hole.
            46-48 standard no seam,51 rounded corner with seam,and your 52-53 style.
            BTW,next time someone points out one without the seam,like the cover bike on the Resto guide,just look underneath,and you will see the 1 1/2 or so wide back up and joining strip,five spotwelds on each side.
            Tom

Comment

If the fender has the back up strip and spot welds but no visible seam, is it original or does that mean it is a re poped fender?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Tobydog61 View Post
                If the fender has the back up strip and spot welds but no visible seam, is it original or does that mean it is a re poped fender?

Jeff
                I don't know about repops,but I believe if the backup strip and spot welds are visible the outside of the seam probably got filled during bodywork.
                The strip also has a couple of spot welds on the ends,besiedes the five on each side to the center section..Two where the strip tucks under the skirt flange on the left side,two on the chainguard side,based on my 51 round corner seam version.
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X