Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Indian Flywheels

Hello all,

I haven't a clue on Indians, but can someone tell me how to tell Chief flywheels from Scout flywheels.

I literally have a garage full of flywheels with no way of identifying them. I haven't even looked yet to see if there are any markings on them I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out, by guiding me to a website. Able to supply measurements, or some other way. I really don't want to toss them in the metal bin, and that is exactly where there going if I cant figure them out. There's probably 40 - 50 pairs. I'm pretty sure they are Indian as I got them from an estate sale. several years back and I'm just getting to them now.

I applicate any help anybody can give.

Cheers Brian
    AMCA #27739
    Last edited by 45-Brian; 03-05-2016, 08:38 PM.

Brian,
    start with the o.d., the outside diameters, and know that the Chief is the larger, approx 8" (not sure, I'm not in my shop), and the scout smaller by less than 1/2" (?). Secondly, the standard Chief stroke is 4 7/16" so the radius hole centers for the crankpin-to-drive (or pinion) will show as 2 7/32" if you can convince yourself of your measuring accuracy. 80" Chief wheels have a 4 13/16" stoke and they will measure 2 13/32" radius. The Scout wheels will measure a 1 3/4" radius for its 3 1/2" stroke.
    Third, check for the "Z" which tells you they are harder material, for both models, brought in early in the DuPont era, around 1934 (?). Wheels without the Z might feel heavier and look thicker. These are softer and older, and are usually replaced by the Z's.
    Hopefully, someone will post correct o.d.'s before I post again, which will sort your horde faster.
    If you intend to sort out by condition bring some to a swap meet and get a little advice on what to look for.

Comment

Working...
    X