Rear wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel bearings

I replaced the wheel bearing on the rear wheel hub and brake drum on my 1940 chief when I re installed the rear wheel and tighten up the axel nut the rear wheel turns with a drag ,do the bearing need to brake in or did I do something wrong ? Thanks jerry

Originally posted by jn1972 View Post
    do the bearing need to brake in
    Did you go back in with sealed bearings? No bearings should really need breaking in, but how much drag are you talking about? Could simply be lots of fresh new grease on a cold day?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I replaced the rollers on the cage bearings in the wheeel hub , and a new bearing in the brake hub ,it takes two hands to turn the rear wheel thanks

Comment

it takes two hands to turn the rear wheel thanks
        Something is wrong, take it apart, spin the inner race by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by jn1972 View Post
          it takes two hands to turn the rear wheel thanks
          Any noise? Maybe the brake is dragging. That's a lot of resistance, the wheel rubbing is another thought... but again you'd hear something.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi,
            Is the chain on the drum? That can cause issues. If there is no chain, then something isn't quite right. I think the dragging brake is a good earlier suggestion. Wheel bearings do not need any kind of break-in as long as they are in good condition and the correct parts. When things are right; the wheel should almost spin by itself with the heavy spot (if there is one) coming to the bottom - as in balancing a wheel. I have seen the speedometer cable rub on the rear tire but typically not much is in there to cause trouble. The front wheel is usually the trouble wheel when it comes to rubbing on the skirts.

Comment

The usual culprit is a missing ( or wrong one) #40999 spacer between the backing plate and the bearing. I can't find one to measure but Jerry Greer's says it's .470" think. Maybe someone can back that info up. The wheel should be an easy spin, don't even think of riding it.

Comment

The 40999 spacer is installed,the wheel spins fairly free until I tighten down on the axel bolt and then it is very hard to spin thanks jerry

Comment

Does the 40999 protrude above the lock nut? That's the only part that compresses, side to side.

Comment

yes it does ,is it suppose to ? thanks jerry

Comment

Take the wheel assembly off. then just assemble the drum and backing plate to the shock. See if tightening that nut is what binds the drum or only when the wheel is attached with the axle nut.

Comment

I removed the brake backing plate and reassembled the wheel on to the bike when I tighten up the axel bolt the wheel spins freely ,I then added the brake backing plate and tightened up the axel bolt and the wheel binds ,the brake drum bearing nut is not flush with the top of the brake drum it was very tight going in,would this put to much tension on the side ? I have added a picture thanks

Comment

That looks exactly like mine and I have the drag too. Not sure if the new felt seal is the problem or not. I did put in a sealed bearing also and new cages and rollers. The rollers move fine and so did the sealed bearing at install. Once the brake drum is on the backing plate same deal? I will be watching this thread closely! Also, the axle was quite tight going in.

Comment

Originally posted by RonH View Post
                            That looks exactly like mine and I have the drag too. Not sure if the new felt seal is the problem or not. I did put in a sealed bearing also and new cages and rollers. The rollers move fine and so did the sealed bearing at install. Once the brake drum is on the backing plate same deal? I will be watching this thread closely! Also, the axle was quite tight going in.
                            Nut looks ok.What does the inside surface of backing plate boss that locks up against that the spacer look like ?
                            If its worn down the clearance changes.
                            Look for marks to see where the contact is.
                            Tight fit of axle in hollow axle or bearing support doesn't matter as none of them move after assembly.
                            Good Luck
                            Tom

Comment

Does the spacer put side pressure on the brake drum bearing ? thanks jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X