Rear fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear fender

I am putting a new aftermarket rear fender on the bike, I noticed it sits different from the stock fender in the pics I have found. The bottom mounting holes do not line up very well with the mounting hole on the bottom shock mount. Any pictures or help would be appreciated, Thanks.

So Ron, you don't mention what year Chief you're asking about. Here's a photo of my 1946 rear fender, not certain if all skirted fender years mount the same. You should put up a picture or two. What does the vendor who sold you the fender say about it?

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

You will probably have to weld holes up and redrill to fit.
      The front tabs that hang the fender on the upper cross braces is your starting point.Then figure if it hangs best with lower front mount to battery plate to go in front or rear of tabs,then redrill holes on shock mounts.This pretty common for fitting a fender that came off a different bike even with oem fenders.
      Tom

Comment

It was purchased with the bike, so not sure of the vendor. a 1948 chief, when i set the fender in place it sits up about 1/2 an inch above the top frame mount if I put the fender in front of the battery mount tabs. Pictures are coming.

Comment

That is what I was told by another person too. Thank you.

Comment

I have had similar problem with later frames.I believe the square upper cross braces sits slightly higher than the round earlier as in PB's pic and used basically the same fender upper tap position,causing the later fenders to sit a little higher.
            I may be wrong but lots of pics of later chiefs show a bigger gap at chaingaurd top to fender notch than 47 and earlier.
            Also fit the fender and chainguard with lower end and trans in place as you may find you are also needing to fill and relocate chain guard holes as the fender/CG studs location will also most likely be off.
            Tom

Comment

Would it make a difference if you put the fender behind the tabs off the battery tray, instead of in front?

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

That is how mine sits. the only way to fix that is to cut about 3/8" off the bottom front which I am not really liking that idea! Hey Who knows I might find a stock fender for next to nothing in Daytona this year at the swap meet! Or a couple other things I am looking for, Tanks (aftermarket), chain guard and generator guard. Would be nice!

Comment

The only real way to tell is align fender with chain guard attached to transmission.

Comment

I heard somewhere that each fender was fitted to the bike at the Wigwam and drilled to suit the bike and frame, that is why a fender from one bike may not line up with another frame holes.

Comment

Originally posted by someozybloke View Post
                      I heard somewhere that each fender was fitted to the bike at the Wigwam and drilled to suit the bike and frame, that is why a fender from one bike may not line up with another frame holes.
                      No wonder they went broke.....

Comment

Originally posted by someozybloke View Post
                        This is an excuse used by incomplete reproduction parts makers. The factory would have drilled all of the holes before paint.

Comment

Working...
                        X