1947 Chief transmission whine / noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief transmission whine / noise

I have a 47 Chief with sidecar that I recently brought back to life after sitting for 20 years. I'm a reformed street rodder and have been maintaining and repairing my 46 Chief for 7 years but I've never been inside a Chief engine or tranny. On this 47 there is a whine in 2nd gear and when I stop or shut it off I hear something slide down a shaft and land with a noticeable metallic ring sound. It shifts solid but occasionally pops out of 1st under a load like up a hill. The clutch was a goner when I first fired it up so I put in a new one from Greer and changed the primary / tranny oil after 50 miles to make sure it was flushed out but haven't touched the transmission yet. Any ideas?

Mike, take off the shift tower to inspect. Make certain the large nut on the left side that secures the clutch hub in place hasn't come loose (forgot to bend over the washer). That would be the easiest thing to do at this point. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf_51 View Post
      Mike, take off the shift tower to inspect. Make certain the large nut on the left side that secures the clutch hub in place hasn't come loose (forgot to bend over the washer). That would be the easiest thing to do at this point. Good luck.
      Thanks. I'll pull it off and have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by mike46chief View Post
        Thanks. I'll pull it off and have a look.
        Start with draining the trans oil, into a clean pan so you can look for metal filings. Expect to find some anyway, but a lot would mean you have a lot of wear since last change. You may have to poke the crud out of the drain hole, and to clean it all out you would likely remove the tower for further inspection and rinsing. Expect to find a worn slider gear.
        The hack is gonna keep your wrenches busy.

Comment

Working...
        X