Rear Crash Bar Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Crash Bar Mounting

I see a lot of rear crash bars mounted below the top frame member and lots above the top frame member. One thing I know is that when the crash bar is mounted below the top frame member you can't open your tool box completely. I know this because my bars are mounted below the top frame member. Is there a correct way to mount these bars or does it matter?

John, I bought the Michael Breeding photo set many years ago when I was working on my Chief. He details the facts about an original paint bike he bought ('48 Chief), and he notes the crash bars were mounted down, and the tool pouch wouldn't come out properly/door won't open all the way. So mounted down definitely did occur, at least on some bikes. Although it sounds like a factory screw up to me for the reason both you and he noted. I mounted mine up so I can get in and out of the box. Period photos show both up and down. The 348 sales brochure shows them all mounted "up".

Comment

Hi Bill,
      I was looking at pictures and not really looking at what year the bike was. My 1947 came this way and I noticed other bikes with them mounted above the top frame member which made me wonder. Now I know. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Go figure.... 1946 advertising piece shows them below:

AND, 1947 advertising piece shows them above:

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I cannot recall any deduction in AMCA judging for it being either way in events I have participated in for the last 17 years. So the "does it matter" question is "no" from a judging standpoint. If you, your dad, your grandma, or whoever bought it new and never altered, I would leave it wherever it was. If it is restored, or history unknown, you can flip them up so you can open the tool box, leave up or down, it does not matter.

Comment

Working...
          X