Correct Fender Light for 1946 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Fender Light for 1946 Chief

What is the correct version of the Guide fender light for a 1946 Indian Chief? Milk glass (#2) or frosted lens (#1)? Base with terminal post or offset hole for wire? And finally, brass or steel cover? According Palmer's book, lamps for 1946 Harley's would have frosted glass lens, off set hole for wire through base, and a steel cover. Thanks

Will need someone to supply picture,it is clear glass that bulges out and was probably sourced from a truck. It is a one year item.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15574[/ATTACH

Base and "frosted" glass lens (embossed #1) on the right are correct for late 1946 to 1949 HDs. Base and "milk" glass lens (embossed #2) on the left are correct for 1936-45 HDs. The cover is a early cover made of brass, the post war lights are steel. So, which one did Indian use for 1946 Chief's? Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Tomfiii's reply matches whats in JHatfields resto guide, clear or amber police models only.
        But there are mistakes in the book ,so?
        Tom

Comment

Though you can never be sure, I've always thought mine was original. It's brass with frosted glass. Now I've got to go look at the base to see what wiring arrangement it has.

And weren't the HD lamps marked PH6?
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes. Palmer's book says P=parking, H=Harley Davidson, and 6 =1946 the year the cover was introduced.

Comment

Shane, here's what I've got and it came on the bike. Alongside it is the original pad that came underneath it. As I mentioned I have no way to know if it's what the factory put on it, but it's brass and frosted.

Comment

Harry,
                Thanks for the information, that combination makes sense. I'm headed to Davenport this week, so will see if I can get the Indian experts there to concur.

Comment

Would love to know what you figure out Shane! To muddy the waters just a bit, an early advertisement shows the other style, police type fender lamp!

Comment

Interesting, I like that light! It looks like a (Do-Ray #410). What is the date on the flyer? I don't recall ever seeing one a 46 Chief.

Comment

That's the best description I can remember of my friends collection of three or so of them. Some 46's as usual practice may of had leftovers from prior years.

Comment

Working...
                      X