1938 Chief Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 Chief Frame

I have what I believe is a 1938 Chief Frame. I have it sandblasted down to bare steel and i cannot see any evidence of a shifter tube below the neck casting. I thought the '38 had this tube for the shifter. The rest of the frame seems to be '38 and the serial number starts with 338 ?

38 frame head1.jpg38 frame head2.JPG

338 is for SURE a 38 frame.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Yes I do think that this is a '38 frame but all I find on a "38 frame says it should have the tube for the shifter linkage on the lower neck casting, this one does not.

Comment

The number 338 tells all. Many frames and complete motorcycles, after all their years on and off the road, have some modifications to keep them riding down the hi-way.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
          The number 338 tells all. Many frames and complete motorcycles, after all their years on and off the road, have some modifications to keep them riding down the hi-way.
          Unfortunalely the numbers do not always tell the story as they are so easily altered.I have a 38 and the shifter tube is part of the neck casting.
          My guess is I you have a 36 frame,first year for full casting in the neck,no webs,and no shifter tube.
          Tom

Comment

Yes I was thinking that this is an earlier frame but what is odd is that the neck casting has the dash mount at the top. I believe that dash started in '38.

Comment

Originally posted by Inchief View Post
              Yes I was thinking that this is an earlier frame but what is odd is that the neck casting has the dash mount at the top. I believe that dash started in '38.
              Good point.38 is first year for flattened tube top to accomodate speedo mounting.
              I looked at my 35 frame and the lower frame tube casting ,no shifter tube ,is rounder than yours with a mold seem,parting line, lateral to tube.
              So my new guess is you have 38 frame that someone ground off the shifter casting.
              Be interesting to see a pic of numbers.
              Tom

Comment

Upon closer inspection I have come up with the opinion that someone has removed the shifter tube at the bottom of the neck casting. I looked at a '41 frame I have that someone has done a bad job of removing the tube and there seems to be enough material around the frame tubes to leave what I got. Someone has done a nice job of it which made me think it was cast like that but I don't think it came from the factory like that. Thanks for the comments on this.

Comment

I had no idea we were talking about re-stamped frames. In that case anything could be anything. Guess it could be one of the Polaris frames too.

Comment

Working...
                  X