How to remove lifter blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove lifter blocks

I want to remove the lifter blocks on my Chief engine case. I have a Harley tool that bolts right on but I don't think I have the heat range correct. Can anyone share how they do it? Thanks

Hi,
    Whenever I want to remove or install anything pressed into aluminum, I use boiling water (total immersion) to heat the aluminum. You have to get the whole part hot before pulling or pressing. Boiling water gets you to around 212 degrees F at sea level. An oven can be used also, but temperature must be accurately measured. Some machine shops recommend a pre-heat to 400 degrees F at sea level. I wouldn't go hotter than that. Using a torch to pre-heat aluminum does not work well. It is almost impossible to the whole part to a constant steady temperature. At these temperatures; skin burns instantly, so extreme caution must be exercised to prevent injury. Kiwi manufactures engines from scratch. You could contact them to see how hot they get their cases before pressing in the lifter blocks, but I don't know if they would tell you. For transmission case bushing work, Kiwi recommends pre-heating to 250 degrees F at sea level.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds like good advice. I will go to stove method and pre-heat from there. Here's what I have planned. Install the two cams, the valve lifters and push rods. Then attach the cam cover to keep everything tight. Instal the HD tool onto one of the lifter block. Then, as you screw in the bolt which is in the center of the tool; it should force the block out of the case. That is of course, once heated. Hope that makes sense and if anyone else has anything to add; I would be grateful.

Comment

Why do you want to take them out? You can get oversize pushrods, and the bores can be honed. I don't think Indian intended for those lifter stools to be removed unless there was irreparable damage.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

John!

I found that they are often so tight, even oven-soaked, that it took a very, very sturdy puller.
          Pulling them Harley-style would certainly stress internals.

....Cotten
          Attached Files
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

John, a couple of previous threads on this topic might make for some fun reading!

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...about-my-chief

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...an-Chief-Motor
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

You all have good point. The reason I want to remove them is I need to do some machine work and it would be much easier if removed. Cotten, the tool I have works like yours but mine is professionally made.

Comment

Just for clarity Everybody,

Mine is a simple puller, and does not press down upon any internals to force the guide outward, like some Harley versions.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                X