Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Motocycle Canoe?

Good afternoon Gents,

I have the opportunity to buy a canoe the seller claims the Indian Motocycle Co. made only in 1937-38. The seller says that during the depression, they made other things to income flowing which was a popular idea. The canoe has the Indian head tank decals on the front left and right of the canoe that appear correct for the era but that's not my area of knowledge.

Anyone heard tell of this?

Z

canoe.jpg
    Last edited by Zaemo; 06-22-2015, 10:30 AM.

Hmm... is it canvas over wood construction? (hard to tell from the photo) Seems like a stretch to me, wooden construction is not at all similar to what the Indian factory was set up to do, but on the other hand they could have simply marketed canoes made by someone else?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes, it's canvas over a wood frame. I need to get inside of it and look closely for any markings. A canoe fits the Indian image for obvious reasons. If it were an Indian gas range I'd have to wonder.

Z

Comment

I've heard of boat motors, bicycles, air conditioners, shock absorbers... I think they tried building an airplane, and maybe a car... different to build those than a wooden boat. Hope somebody else jumps in here with more extensive knowledge of Indian Motocycle Company history!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

The sticker looks pretty new. It's not vinyl, is it? Sure would be cool if it was real.
          Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

It was on ebay last month. If it was really made by Indian, $300 it sold for seems like pocket change. The burden of proof that Indian made it falls on the seller if they are saying it was made by Indian.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Motor...-/151672756906
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Either way, what do you do with a canoe that will send you to the bottom of the lake?

Comment

Well Temple, you'd look good for the first nine seconds above water.

I contacted Jerry Hatfield and here's what he had to say. Seller can't seem to corroborate his earlier statements so I'm not buying a story.

Hi Chad,

I haven't heard of an Indian-manufactured kayak. However, Indian did build some boat trailers. I saw the boat trailer at a museum in New England. The boat trailer fit in with Indian''s marketing because at the time they were manufacturing outboard motors. The boat trailer used two 1935-1939 rear fenders.

What you showed me looks like a home-made item with a couple of Indian-head fuel-tank transfers added off the cuff years ago. I wouldn't consider the kayak very desirable unless the seller has some convincing documentation such as a vehicle title.

Best wishes,

Jerry Hatfield

In the end I learned Indian made many other products from air conditioning units to now boat trailers.

Z

Comment

Working...
                X