Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1936 and 1937 Chief ( and Scout) oil caps, embossed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 and 1937 Chief ( and Scout) oil caps, embossed?

Does anyone know if the 1936 and 1937 Indian Twins came without OIL stamped into the cap? The word OIL isn't lining up on both a 36 Scout tank and a 1937 Chief tank set.
    Thanks a lot, as usual

I got my first answer from an owner of an original 1936 Scout and he's sure that 1938 was the first year of OIL stamped on the cap. That makes sense and the cap slots in a set of 1938 Chief tanks are in a slightly different position, clockwise, than the 1936 Scout tanks and the 1937 Chief tanks we have here. The 1938 Chief slots are identical to the late model tank slots and the work OIL lines up properly.

Comment

The 1938 Indian Chief does not have "OIL" displayed on the cap. The cap has a vent hole like the gas caps. The 1938 Indian sales brochure clearly shows this.. Just my 2 cents worth...........

Comment

My 1940 parts book shows same part number for all caps.

Comment

Interesting. Dennis Craigs orig 38 Chief tanks have the caps slots in the tank placed so the OIL is straight across. While the 1936 and 1937 tanks have the slots about 30 degrees off, so OIL doesn't align. I wouldn't go by the brochure though, the 46 brochure showed the brake drum on the other side, like an 841. Brochures were printed way before the bikes were built.

Comment

Bob, I have 37 scout, 37 chief, 38 unrestored chief, 39 traffic car. For sure OIL started in 39 on the cap. All have original tanks. Marty

Comment

Thanks a lot Marty! I should have asked you first.
              Bob

Comment

Working...
              X