Valve spring specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve spring specs

Building a 47 chief bonneville, can anyone provide installed height and installed height spring pressure also open or full lift spring pressure

Hi,
    Jim Mosher of performanceindian.com has one of the better if not the best discussion of valve springs and their specifications on his website. A true Bonneville set-up used inner springs as well as the outer springs. The combination will help prevent valve float, but the the combination also puts a lot of strain on the valve train. If you are looking for maximum RPM performance, inner springs will help. For regular every day riding; inner springs provide little benefit and may shorten the valve train's life.

Comment

I've been using 70's 500 ci Cadillac V8 valve springs for over 40 years and there isn't a better spring made. They're part # VS-773 in TRW or RV-619S in Elgin. ( They're all made by the same Co anyway) You can buy em on eBay for about $3 each. They're progressively wound like all modern auto, truck or cycle springs and the "tighter" ( closer together) coils go against the cylinder. I have then in many many engines and have 55,000 miles on them in my 46 Chief. You'll love em! F those old used inner springs, I never opened up a Bonne motor without those being broken.

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
        I've been using 70's 500 ci Cadillac V8 valve springs for over 40 years and there isn't a better spring made. They're part # VS-773 in TRW or RV-619S in Elgin. ( They're all made by the same Co anyway) You can buy em on eBay for about $3 each. They're progressively wound like all modern auto, truck or cycle springs and the "tighter" ( closer together) coils go against the cylinder. I have then in many many engines and have 55,000 miles on them in my 46 Chief. You'll love em! F those old used inner springs, I never opened up a Bonne motor without those being broken.
        Hey Bob,
        What closed pressure are you setting up for?
        Tom Burke

Comment

Tom I lost the specs as I did this in the early 80's while I had the auto machine shop. I had the spring testing tool which I sold to Belgium when I closed the shop. I put these in all the motors I do, which is still 2-5 a year.
          try em, you'll love them! They're perfectly square ( end-to-end) which makes the valve stem and guides last longer and they have a decent anti-rust coating. They're very forgiving as to installed length, don't bother shimming no matter how deep the seats are sunk. \

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
            Tom I lost the specs as I did this in the early 80's while I had the auto machine shop. I had the spring testing tool which I sold to Belgium when I closed the shop. I put these in all the motors I do, which is still 2-5 a year.
            try em, you'll love them! They're perfectly square ( end-to-end) which makes the valve stem and guides last longer and they have a decent anti-rust coating. They're very forgiving as to installed length, don't bother shimming no matter how deep the seats are sunk. \
            Thanks,maybe I will try a set for next valve job
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X