Primary drive sprocket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary drive sprocket removal

I have to replace a rivet in my generator drive sprocket and I have everything ready to come out except the engine sprocket. What kind of puller do I need to remove the primary-chain sprocket from the engine shaft? Does anyone have any advice about fixing the new rivets so that they don't come out again?
    Thanks,
    Chief 46

Originally posted by chief46 View Post
    I have to replace a rivet in my generator drive sprocket and I have everything ready to come out except the engine sprocket. What kind of puller do I need to remove the primary-chain sprocket from the engine shaft? Does anyone have any advice about fixing the new rivets so that they don't come out again?
    Thanks,
    Chief 46
    If the engine was built within specs, tolerances, you should be able to find a soft bolt, like a 1/2" x 3" (long enough to grab with a vice grip), place it against the drive shaft, give it a smack with an average claw hammer, and it should be free from the grip of its taper. .... the reason I caution on the specs is that we want the thrust washer behind the drive sprocket to be against the output race before the pinion side thrust washer gets to its respective race on the pinion side. The book will specify .010" to .020" end play without the sprocket on, and .005" to .010" with sprocket on. If the end play in your engine is more than .010 the sprocket might not break free with the hammer raps. You may have to then slip some shims (from a feeler gauge) behind the sprocket, then hit it.
    The key stock could also be fitted too large for an easy release. You can get it with pry bars, but you have to be gentle on the aluminum, and don't pry on the sprocket's teeth...they will break off.

Comment

Hi,
      The engine sprocket can sometimes be removed the same way the clutch hub can be removed. This method works on any sprocket/pulley that is fit to a tapered shaft with a key also employed. From the Indian repair and overhaul manual: Remove any retaining nut and washer. Apply light pressure between the sprocket/pulley and case/outer sprocket (if removing clutch hub) on the key side. Tap the opposite side of the sprocket/pulley and it will usually pop right off of the shaft. I have used this method many times and it usually works. Once the sprocket/pulley is removed, it may be necessary to remove the key if further disassembly is required.

Comment

Working...
      X