• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935 Chief

What do the experts think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Chief...US_motorcycles

What is the value?

Even with the amount of repop, rigid chiefs are hard to find- a minimum of 35K. Ask if original speedo. If it had original sheet metal and matching numbers, mostly original overall just restored you are in the 45K range. True unmolested original paint 60 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerdds View Post
      Even with the amount of repop, rigid chiefs are hard to find- a minimum of 35K. Ask if original speedo. If it had original sheet metal and matching numbers, mostly original overall just restored you are in the 45K range. True unmolested original paint 60 and up.
      Very nice restoration.Looks more 36 from rt side with distributor conversion and later tanks.35 had screw thread caps.I would like to see dash pic.The "one year" ignition switch ,I believe is 34-35,says prk,ign ,brt etc,rather than p,I,l etc. and is indeed rare(I need one
      As far as value,Im building one,so I hope he gets what he wants.
      Tom
      Last edited by tfburke3; 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
        Very nice restoration.Looks more 36 from rt side with distributor conversion and later tanks.35 had screw thread caps.I would like to see dash pic.The "one year" ignition switch ,I believe is 34-35,says prk,ign ,brt etc,rather than p,I,l etc. and is indeed rare(I need one
        As far as value,Im building one,so I hope he gets what he wants.
        Tom
        And I'm tempted to say the cylinders are 1940,.. the finning is swelled more than 39-. What about nickel?
        But I'd sure be proud to ride it daily.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
          And I'm tempted to say the cylinders are 1940,.. the finning is swelled more than 39-. What about nickel?
          But I'd sure be proud to ride it daily.
          The cylinders look to be the same as the set I am using,minus the nickel, rear 35,front 36-37.
          Hope He gets 85k,nicer than Steve Mcqueens 35.
          Tom

Comment

Well, he wouldnt let it go for 40k, although most said it is only work.

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong but the letter M after the serial number specifies a magneto ignition which is not present. Also, it appears the cylinders are of the later Y configuration which would make it a BY motor. battery ignition with the circuit breaker style ignition.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by later y configuration.35 was I believe the first year for Y cylinders.Every 35 I have ever seen had y motor.I am not sure what the standard cylinders looked like,maybe like the 34 with no fins on exhaust port.
                35-37 y cylinders are physically the same except the 36-37 have a few lower cam side fins viewed between the tappet guides cut back to make room for the t oilers.
                Tom

Comment

Not sure what you mean by later y configuration.35 was I believe the first year for Y cylinders.Every 35 I have ever seen had y motor.I am not sure what the standard cylinders looked like,maybe like the 34 with no fins on exhaust port.
                  35-37 y cylinders are physically the same except the 36-37 have a few lower cam side fins viewed between the tappet guides cut back to make room for the t oilers.
                  Tom
                  Shucks, Tom! I'd like to get schooled some more on this, but I can't find my library card!
                  I have examples of SS cylinders from 35-42, but Chief's details I have are somewhat scattered.
                  Starklite showed examples of them once, but my desk has become a last choice for my time.

34 SS had a T-manifold, Y was their new thing as T's were used up in 36 (I think). Did the Chief ever have a Y manifold, or were they always T-shaped? (just had to ask the DUMB question) ..... and so, why did they call them the Y-motor?

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                    Shucks, Tom! I'd like to get schooled some more on this, but I can't find my library card!
                    I have examples of SS cylinders from 35-42, but Chief's details I have are somewhat scattered.
                    Starklite showed examples of them once, but my desk has become a last choice for my time.

34 SS had a T-manifold, Y was their new thing as T's were used up in 36 (I think). Did the Chief ever have a Y manifold, or were they always T-shaped? (just had to ask the DUMB question) ..... and so, why did they call them the Y-motor?
                    I don't really know the meaning of the Y term.I have a 34 chief and the manifold is almost the same as late models except cast iron.Not sure when the change to aluminum.I have never seen a chief T manifold,but I am only familiar with 34-53,scouts not so much.
                    Tom

Comment

I don't really know the meaning of the Y term.I have a 34 chief and the manifold is almost the same as late models except cast iron.Not sure when the change to aluminum.I have never seen a chief T manifold,but I am only familiar with 34-53,scouts not so much.
                      Tom
                      "Y" motor introduced in 1935, heavy duty cylinders, alum heads. B for battery, M for magneto which has been stated.
                      Yes, 1935 side fins at valves are longer, '36 are shaved. Tail light is like '34 and back, '36 has round tail light bubble lens like all the later Indians.
                      Here is a very nice old resto of an original 1935 M-Y matching # bike, rare original 4 speed.
                      Saddle, rear safety bars, horn back, and decal are later, footboard/green pedal are '70s period aftermarket, otherwise very correct bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I21iCdlEaY8

Anyone have an original 1935/36 style Indian stamped short nose saddle?? This bike could use one!
                      JR

Comment

Years ago I use to have a ’35 with a Standard motor which had all the original nickel plating still on it. Do not remember anything about the visual difference , BUT, I do remember that the “Y” exhaust pipes did not fit. At the time Bob Stark was making up some “Y” exhaust system, so I bought all the “Y” parts pre-welded and then modified them to fit the ’35 Standard motor.
                        At the time, I had a Traffic car which I wanted to put the ’35 into as I also had a NOS 4 speed and a NOS reverse transmission to choose from. Unemployment took care of that bike project.
                        Hopefully the exhaust comment helps a little
                        Spacke2speed

Comment

Tom
                          The Sport Scouts got a Y-shaped intake manifold in 1935, and the Chief manifold resembles a T much more than a Y. The Scout's intake was reportedly (by Harry Sucher) developed at M.I.T.; the deep-breathing gave the engine its competitive edge.

Comment

I would add No Y stamp on case for Y motor. The M is for Magneto. Wrong tail light, New alternator not correct old splitdorf generator, Left hand shift, wrong tanks ( previously mentioned ) no matching numbers

Comment

Working...
                            X