engine sprocket nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine sprocket nut

trying to work on a 36 Chief,is there a trick to getting the sprocket nut off.I've tried wedging stuff in the chain,etc,but it still wants to spin.Is it left hand thread?Thanks

There should be a washer under it that is bent up on one of the flats of the nut, make sure that has been flattened down. The nut is not left hand thread but standard right hand thread. Try an impact wrench and 1 5/8" socket if you have one. Mine is just deep enough one to go over the end of the mainshaft. You may have to use a length of chain to wrap around the sprocket and figure out a way to stop it from spinning. Use blocks of wood C clamps, vise grips with the chain and whatever to hold it from turning. A friend of mine made up a piece of chain fastened to a piece of pipe that he uses to hold the sprocket from turning by wraping the chain around the sprocket and holding the pipe. If not there is always the hammer and chisel method but it usually messes up the nut. Strike the nut in the direction to loosen it.

Comment

Thanks for the advise,The nut on my 36 Chief is 1 inch and I have a socket to fit it.The main problem is stopping the chain from spinning.I've tried wood etc.I guess I 'll keep trying.Its good to know its not left handed.

Comment

Johnnyfire!

Try a large auto lead wheel weight, but take care to avoid the chain hitting the cover.
        In the long run, you will find making a spanner from a large disc with six holes to go over the clutch basket studs usefull, especially for removal of the entire assembly. The nut can be held inside the box while the drum is turned.

....Cotten
        Attached Files
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Ok,I used blocks of wood and a large screw driver wedged in the teeth and finally got it off.Next is the drive sprocket with the four rows of teeth,than I guess the whole clutch assembly.All this just to replace the generator drive bushing.I'm guessing there must be some kind of puller to use,but there isn't any room between the primary case and the spocket.I'm wondering if the case can come off before the sprocket. Johnny

Comment

Johnnyfire!

Do you have the Repair and Overhaul Manual?

To remove the clutch basket, sprockets and chain, you must undo the large nut that holds it, inside the box itself.

A compressor tool will be needed for removing the compression plate and clutch plates (although the cover itself can be used), and puller may be more gentle than a hammer for the clutch hub, but "pulling" anything else would be disaster.

Please call KIWI or somebody and get the book!

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-19-2015, 12:02 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Found my book,I thought I left it up in Wi.I'm in Fl.now.I guess I'll try try to find someone with the special tools needed to remove the clutch or buy them.Vl clutches are easier,they come off complete.Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yikes! I thought you meant the drive sprocket on the other side of the transmission. There is a left hand nut on the clutch hub. Real good suggestion about getting the book.

Comment

Working...
                X