'48 Chief Exhaust on a '47?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 Chief Exhaust on a '47?

Will the '48 Chief exhaust fit the '47? I checked the Greer's catalog and the part numbers are the same for each year. Just want to double check. I need one for my '47 and I have a good friend in California with a '48 exhaust he is willing to give me if I pay for shipping. Not a bad deal if it will work.
    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
    1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
    1998 Honda Valkyrie

Originally posted by Xtracho View Post
    Will the '48 Chief exhaust fit the '47? I checked the Greer's catalog and the part numbers are the same for each year. Just want to double check. I need one for my '47 and I have a good friend in California with a '48 exhaust he is willing to give me if I pay for shipping. Not a bad deal if it will work.
    Yes,will fit.Not sure if the 47 rearmost bracket to fender is the same as 48,but basically any plunger frame system will fit.52 and 53 have different tailpipe,and 46 is one piece,but all will fit.
    Have fun
    Tom

Comment

46-47 same one piece and must be fitted to bike before welding and plating or good luck getting it on. That is why most like the 2 piece 48- easier to install, just historically incorrect. You also pretty much need to lay a 46-47 over to get the entire thing up and in there. Vibration caused them to break.

Comment

I have a one piece on my '46, and nothing could be easier in terms of removing and installing the exhaust. It does not require the bike to be leaned over, you can do it on the center stand. Originals had the name 'Nelson' in raised letters on the side, and crude gas welded ends. My chromer put the whole thing in his tank, after it was fitted and welded together.
        A. Bernhardt
        AMCA# 9726

Comment

Working...
        X