1947 chief clutch hub removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 chief clutch hub removal

image.jpgHaving a hard time removing my clutch hub, and sprocket. What am I missing? Looks like it should pull right off. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by yournamehere1; 11-15-2014, 05:05 PM.

The hub should come off from the outside. Mild tapping with a brass hammer should break it's taper fit bond to the mainshaft. The clutch basket with 3 row sprocket has a big nut inside the transmission. That can be a royal P.I.T.A. if you don't have the special wrench. I made my own wrench to get in there, but I believe you can buy one from Kiwi, Starklite, or Greer. In the olden days, cavemen would use a hammer and chisel to get that nut tight, or loose.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Eric !!!
      I will try this method, I thought hammers were for Harley's, appearantly an Indian needs an occasional tap too.
      Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

These pages are from the 'Operation and Maintenance' military manual for Indian Chiefs. I think this is the most useful manual for Chiefs. If you already have, sorry for the duplication.

Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric,
          I wish I had this before the disassembly!!! You're a life saver. This manual looks like a step by step guide for the average enlisted man. Where can I find one. This information is wonderful, so much better then what I'm using now.

Thanks again for your help !

Tom

Comment

I'm sorry Tom, I just saw your reply. You should be able to get the military Chief manual from Jerry Greer.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric,
              No worries I ordered the manual this past weekend. If anyone is interested the manual is called TM10-1333 ~ Indian Motorcycle ~ Model 340B ~ "Chief" ~ Operation and Maintenance Manual

Thank you for a peek into this manual. Like I said I wish I had this during disassembly. Jerry Greer and other vendors has this manual in stock.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice !!

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X