Reproduction Ignition Switch for Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Ignition Switch for Chief

I have a couple of questions about Chief switches. Are the OEM units rebuildable? If so are there parts still available? I am in the process of wiring a 1950 Chief and I can make the lights flicker by moving the key in the lock tumbler. The switch is OEM. I think this will be a problem when on the road. Can anyone rate the reproduction units now on the market? I see one listed by Starklite. I am more interested in function and reliability than a cosmetically perfect reproduction. As always input is appreciated.
    DonDz

You may need to open your switch up and check the contacts. They can come apart. I doubt you will find any repair parts. If you take it apart, do it inside a plastic bag, as things will fly when the bottom is removed. It isn't hard to see where things go when you put it back together. I have heard the repops made by some are not too good. Maybe someone else will give information on that. Stan

Comment

I have rebuild many of them, Starklite has the internal parts. I shorten the springs by one turn, makes them work better.

Comment

I just replaced mine with a repop. Stark and Greer offer the same one AFAIK and they are historically accurate. Once I put the new one in I took the old one apart to see what was going on - I think the nylon stops were just worn down. Mine came apart and went back together easily and nothing flew across the room - not sure why they have the reputation for that. It's a very simple layout inside and I think that unless a component is downright broken or worn out, it looked very simple to repair/adjust. The difficult part is getting the wire connections from the bike on/off and reattaching them in the same order and in the same locations so be sure to take pics first, label the wires, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by knucky View Post
          The difficult part is getting the wire connections from the bike on/off and reattaching them in the same order and in the same locations so be sure to take pics first, label the wires, etc.
          That is a good point. On my Chief, I would paint all the wires, and the terminal with Testors model paint. Of course, use a different color for each terminal. I think Indian color coded the terminals on their replacement switches.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X