tail light lens removal 1946 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail light lens removal 1946 Chief

I can't figure out how to remove the lens from the tail light assembly so that I can replace the bulb. I removed the assembly from the fender and it looks like the bulb socket is permanently attached to the plate so the only way to replace the bulb seems to be to remove the lens and stainless steel ring. I can get them to turn a little but it sound like glass grinding on steel so I stopped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Jim , there is a metal shroud around the lens pick at the join and put it out around the lensit got me too ,Rob

Comment

Push the glass lens in to compress the gasket and then at the bottom of the metal ring you'll notice a split - use a pick (I use a plastic one) to gently work out one end until you can grab it with your fingers and continue to keep pressure on the lens while you gently rotate the ring and work it out around the diameter of the lens. Once out, the lens comes straight out and you can get to the bulb. if you munge up the ring greers and starklite sell stainless steel replacements for like $7. To replace it start at the top of the lens and insert it in the channel at the top and then work both sides in until you get all the way to the bottom leaving the split at the bottom. After you've done it once, you'll think it's easy - but until then, notsomuch.

BTW, if you're replacing the bulb, if the pins are inline, you likely have an original housing, if the bulb has offset pins it's a reproduction.
      Last edited by knucky; 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knucky View Post
        Push the glass lens in to compress the gasket and then at the bottom of the metal ring you'll notice a split - use a pick (I use a plastic one) to gently work out one end until you can grab it with your fingers and continue to keep pressure on the lens while you gently rotate the ring and work it out around the diameter of the lens. Once out, the lens comes straight out and you can get to the bulb. if you munge up the ring greers and starklite sell stainless steel replacements for like $7. To replace it start at the top of the lens and insert it in the channel at the top and then work both sides in until you get all the way to the bottom leaving the split at the bottom. After you've done it once, you'll think it's easy - but until then, notsomuch.

BTW, if you're replacing the bulb, if the pins are inline, you likely have an original housing, if the bulb has offset pins it's a reproduction.
        Thanks that did the trick. The two pins are offset. I would like to make the lights brighter without messing up the looks. So I think I will try and LED replacement bulb and maybe a license plate frame that will light when I apply the brakes - if I can find one that isn't obvious when the bike is parked. I'll also want to make it easy to remove for judging. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Some people have reflectors for sale ,but I used aluminum foil under bulb to help reflect better.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
            Some people have reflectors for sale ,but I used aluminum foil under bulb to help reflect better.
            I did same thing - definitely made a difference....and its cheap!
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
            X