Wheel hub bearing race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel hub bearing race

Ok I give up. How would one get the bearing race out of the wheel hub for a '38 Chief. I tried a puller then some heat, beat it, cursed at it, it has not budged a bit. Some one told me to run a bead around the race with a stick welder and it will shrink and come out. But I do not have access to a stick welder and I was never any good with one anyway. Any one got any tricks?

You could try what worked for me on neck bearing races, I cut partially through the race with a Dremel and small wheel, then rapped the cut with a small chisel... that broke the race at the cut point and the race came out. I was careful and managed not to nick the seat for the race!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes I was thinking about trying that. It is pretty tight and is kind of deep. I think I may try to drill through the race with a lesser diameter drill bit than the thickness of the race on a side then try a cutoff wheel and chisel. I am trying this on a hub that is not too good before I try it on the hub that I actually want just to get the technique down so as to not screw up the good one.

Comment

Working...
      X