Installing Fender Tips on a 47 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Fender Tips on a 47 Chief

Hi, new member here - first post so please excuse me if I get any of the etiquette wrong. I have some questions about installing a set of Greer repro front/rear fender tips on a 47 Chief...
    1. I've been thinking that having the chrome pieces directly contacting the paint may be a bit of a recipe for disaster in the long run so I'm considering some 3M clear bra material on the back of the tips, on the fender itself, or both - any thoughts?
    2. How are folks typically locating the correct position on the fenders - sight and measurement, or is there some specific guidance available somewhere?
    3. Is the mounting hardware typically an oval head with machine thread plus a nut/washer on the inside of the fender or is it like a pointed sheet metal screw?

Thanks in advance,
    - Knucky
    Last edited by knucky; 08-07-2014, 07:11 PM.

Knucky, welcome and here's one way to look at your questions: since fender tips were accessories they were mounted locally, so you might find examples that don't follow the same method and location of mounting. Not sure where you're located, but going to an AMCA event is a good way to see how others have mounted their accessories, you can take photos and ask questions. I guess you could protect the paint, but you'll be putting holes in the fender, too....so if you decide to take off the fender tips later you might see some rub marks, and you might not....but you'll sure see the holes! (My front fender has about six holes in the leading edge due to someone before me changing his mind about fender tips!)
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes they are machine screws with slot. You need to check to see if the fender bend does not overly interfere with mounting ,you can silicone washers under tip so it doesn't crush down on fender. Some people mount tip on fender and some let front edge hang over fender.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

My '48 still had the original and it was misaligned. I put it right back in the same holes. Sometimes crooked is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Working...
          X