She is home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She is home!

Well I saved about $400 having the 1947 Chief delivered and she arrived in perfect shape. After almost a year of waiting because of my work schedule in Brazil I have her in my hands! Photos will come a bit later. I must say, she looks surprisingly good in the light of day vs. the darkly lit garage where she has been kept for the last several years. Cleaning her up will reveal a true beauty I believe. The paint looks good. The bike is just dusty, dirty and grimed up. I'm sure most of the wiring is rotten as well. Pulled the plugs and the evidence is there that my cousin had occasionally squirted oil or ATF into the cylinders to keep the engine from freezing up. Of course, that's not a definite indicator, but a good sign nonetheless.

So...OK...you experts. After a good cleaning and degreasing what would be your next step? Oh....and I almost forgot....I would like to insure the bike. Anyone out there have any recommendations on vintage bike insurance? The value is just too much to risk something bad happening.

Thanks!

Photos before and after clean up to come.

Mark
    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
    1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
    1998 Honda Valkyrie

congrats Mark. can't wait to see the pix.

Kevin

Kevin
    https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Thanks Kevin. Raining here right now. Maybe get the pics posted tomorrow. I do need to know where I can get keys for the bike. My cousins were unable to find them before the bike was shipped. Is there a service that can key these vintage machines?
      Mark

1947 Indian Chief
      1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Hey Mark, Congratulations! You have to be thrilled; as Kevin said - please forward some pictures as soon as you are able!

Comment

Originally posted by Xtracho View Post
          Thanks Kevin. Raining here right now. Maybe get the pics posted tomorrow. I do need to know where I can get keys for the bike. My cousins were unable to find them before the bike was shipped. Is there a service that can key these vintage machines?
          Its a relatively simple lock that any locksmith should be able to easily make a key if your in a hurray.
          A better option may be the person who always advertises in the club mag classified that has original codes and blanks.
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
            Its a relatively simple lock that any locksmith should be able to easily make a key if your in a hurray.
            A better option may be the person who always advertises in the club mag classified that has original codes and blanks.
            Tom
            Thanks Tom...I do seem to remember an ad in the magazine for those keys. I'll look it up. Took a bunch of pics yesterday. I think I'm gonna clean her up real good and post them as before and after. Just to see what difference a good cleaning and degreasing will do. I am pretty stoked about all this and am so fortunate to have this resource as I move forward. LOL...had her out in the driveway yesterday and 3 of the neighbors stopped and had to have pics done with them standing next to the bike.
            Mark

1947 Indian Chief
            1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

So...OK...you experts. After a good cleaning and degreasing what would be your next step? Oh....and I almost forgot....I would like to insure the bike. Anyone out there have any recommendations on vintage bike insurance? The value is just too much to risk something bad happening.
              Thanks!
              Mark
              Hi Mark
              Glad you finally got it home. Very exciting time for you.

I am not expert but this is what I'd do

Change engine and primary/trans oil. If the oil tank has sludge you'll want to flush that out.
              Verify timing, and point gap & condition by the book. Check cap and rotor.
              Clean or replace plugs
              Flush the fuel tanks and line plus filter/bowl at carb
              Check all wiring for tight connections or bare wires that could cause a short. Remove dash bezel for this to expose ignition switch.
              Get a new battery
              Before attempting to start verify you have spark when kicking the engine over.
              I found the original riders instruction manual to be very helpful. If you don't have one you can download from AMCA website for free.

Once you get it running you can evaluate condition of mechanics and that will dictate prioritization of next steps.

Haggerty is often a preferred choice for antique vehicle insurance. My State Farm agent got me better antique coverage for less than Haggerty in part due to multi-discount for house and cars.
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

As far as keys are concerned, my local locksmith a couple of blocks from my work loaned me his big string of B&S master keys when I got my '47 Chief without keys. I tested them until I found a real good working keys for ignition and tool box, then he cut me several copies of each. It was nice of him to loan me all his originals, but that way I didn't have to take apart the ignition or tool box.
                Mike Carver
                AMCA #3349

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! Pulled the seat yesterday and started with the Leatherique treatment. Although I think, in the end, I'll just have it recovered. Washed her down and did some light degreasing on the motor. I imagine it's been at least 10 years since she was last washed....probably more. Anyhow, here are a couple of pics after the wash.

Chief8.jpgChief010.jpgChief011.jpgChief012.jpg
                  Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                  1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Wow:

Love the bars.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Very nice indeed, enjoy that great bike!
                      AMCA # 3233

Comment

Thanks all! I am pretty stoked. Just touching this bike again brings back so many memories. In my previous thread on this bike: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...-in-the-Stable, I got tons of good info from some very knowledgeable members. That information will be put to good use going forward. And if any of you have anything to add I would be most grateful. I am so looking forward to the day I can kick her over and post a video of her running again. I think my Uncle would be proud.
                        Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                        1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

That is a good looking motorcycle. If it goes down the road as fine as it looks you are in for some great riding.
                          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! Pulled the seat yesterday and started with the Leatherique treatment. Although I think, in the end, I'll just have it recovered. Washed her down and did some light degreasing on the motor. I imagine it's been at least 10 years since she was last washed....probably more. Anyhow, here are a couple of pics after the wash.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13674[/ATTACH]
                            Looks great! I have a request, please don't recover the seat.... treat it well with glycerin and then Lexol. Be patient. If you do decide you want new leather, consider buying an already recovered seat. I . If you have ANY questions contact Worsham Castle http://www.worshamcastle.com/index.htm
                            Mike Carver
                            AMCA #3349

Comment

I'm with Mike on the seat. It's surprising how bad leather can look, and then how well it can restore. Obviously, it's your bike and you can do what you want, but original leather is hard to come by, and lots of people would love to have an original seat.

It looks like the bike is cleaning up very well. You'll be riding in no time!

Kevin

Kevin
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Working...
                              X