Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'45 Chief Civilian - correct finish on a few bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '45 Chief Civilian - correct finish on a few bits?

Hi Folks:

Looking for some thoughts on the correct finish on the following pieces. Not sure if these items should be cad plated, black painted, or???
    • Front brake lever
    • Shift lever
    • Handlebar spiral nuts
    • Horn and light handlebar switches

I'd appreciate any help - and even better if you have any original factory photos or literature that I could purchase from you - or purchase clear copy or scan to help substantiate what's correct during AMCA judging.

Thanks,
    =Adam=
    Hollis, NH

Hi Adam had my 45 chief for 15 years now 44 & 45 chiefs had No shiny parts because of the War effort All the photos I have, show that, During the War cad plating was considered (Ornamental use of Metal) & was not allowed by law that is also why they have no Skirts, All the metal finish was Black Paint or Parkerized Including Dash & gas caps. Front Brake lever should be Parkerized as well as the Handlebar Spiral Nuts, Horn & Light Switch covers, Shift Lever would also be parkerized ) But Black Paint could also be used, now I have seen 44 &45 chiefs that had been redone "Custome" where they chrome & plate the metals & it looks good but it is WRONG, in fact all the nuts. bolts & washer were Parkerized. Hope this helps ya if ya need any more info on this bike just ask
    Oz
    Last edited by 45OZ; 07-06-2014, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Here are some Factory pictures for ads in Police magazines :
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Oz:

Great - very helpful! These few things are the only items that the bikes was dinged on during judging at Rhinebeck, recently.

I will look to source the shift lever and switches in bare metal, so that I don't have to deal with having the chrome stripped. I'll PM you and perhaps we can connect up so that you can send me some photos of your bike, and I will do the same for mine. Been looking for a non-skirted Chief or 101 Scout for some years now and came into this one a few weeks back. Just looking to make that last few nits 'right' and collect the 'hardware' so that I can then ride and enjoy it.

=Adam=
        Hollis, NH

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
        Hi Adam had my 45 chief for 15 years now 44 & 45 chiefs had No shiny parts because of the War effort All the photos I have, show that, During the War cad plating was considered (Ornamental use of Metal) & was not allowed by law that is also why they have no Skirts, All the metal finish was Black Paint or Parkerized Including Dash & gas caps. Front Brake lever should be Parkerized as well as the Handlebar Spiral Nuts, Horn & Light Switch covers, Shift Lever would also be parkerized ) But Black Paint could also be used, now I have seen 44 &45 chiefs that had been redone "Custome" where they chrome & plate the metals & it looks good but it is WRONG, in fact all the nuts. bolts & washer were Parkerized. Hope this helps ya if ya need any more info on this bike just ask
        Oz

Comment

Originally posted by RocketMoto View Post
          Hi Oz:

Great - very helpful! These few things are the only items that the bikes was dinged on during judging at Rhinebeck, recently.

I will look to source the shift lever and switches in bare metal, so that I don't have to deal with having the chrome stripped. I'll PM you and perhaps we can connect up so that you can send me some photos of your bike, and I will do the same for mine. Been looking for a non-skirted Chief or 101 Scout for some years now and came into this one a few weeks back. Just looking to make that last few nits 'right' and collect the 'hardware' so that I can then ride and enjoy it.

=Adam=
          Hollis, NH
          Did you get this bike ai rhinebeck from Tim?

Comment

I did

Looked for a very, very long time, and passed on a lot of bikes.

=Adam=
            Hollis, NH

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
            Did you get this bike ai rhinebeck from Tim?

Comment

I did

Looked for a very, very long time, and passed on a lot of bikes.

=Adam=
              Hollis, NH
              Cool. I know that bike & Tim He did a great job on that & did a LOT of research He is a Good guy & you got a great deal on that. I love the color that is not seen to often but it is a factory offered color for the year, you should have many years of enjoyment on the road with that one.
              Congrats
              Oz

Comment

if its the white one that was for sale? very nice bike,talked to the guy for a bit and thought the price was a little low? that bike had rubber floorboards which i didnt think was correct?my 1945 has metal floorboards, but overall it was very nice and a very good price for sure!

Comment

any pics
                  my 1940 model 340
                  007.jpg

aka HAWG
                  1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                  1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                  1940 indian chief military
                  1965 sportster xlch
                  1969 sportster xlch bobber
                  1971 bsa A65 chopper
                  1969 harley ss350 sprint
                  1960 harley topper
                  1963 harley topper
                  H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                  H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                  1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                  1959 harley model 165
                  1960 harley super 10
                  1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                  EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Does the Parkerizing include axle nuts and axle, steering head nut, head bolts, primary cover bolts, etc. My 45 was never really restored but engine was overhauled in early 70s. I suppose the parkerized bolts could have been rusty and got replaced. How about finish on mirror?

Comment

Originally posted by fizz View Post
                      Does the Parkerizing include axle nuts and axle, steering head nut, head bolts, primary cover bolts, etc. My 45 was never really restored but engine was overhauled in early 70s. I suppose the parkerized bolts could have been rusty and got replaced. How about finish on mirror?
                      Yes All nuts bolts washer would be parkerized although I have not seen the Primary cover bolts parkerized which may be because they had plenty on hand before the war, Mirror would have benn the military style painted Black.

Comment

Oz - thanks for the help - really appreciated. I've removed and dissected the headlight dimmer and horn switches, stripped and painted black. Same for toolbox lock and front brake lever. I ordered a bare metal shift lever and will paint black. Normally, I wouldn't care about judging, but the bike is so nice, it deserves some attention and then I'm gonna enjoy it!

Some pix:

DSC04289.jpg DSC04296.jpg
                        DSC04304.jpg DSC04293.jpg

=Adam=
                        Hollis, NH
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oz - thanks for the help - really appreciated. I've removed and dissected the headlight dimmer and horn switches, stripped and painted black. Same for toolbox lock and front brake lever. I ordered a bare metal shift lever and will paint black. Normally, I wouldn't care about judging, but the bike is so nice, it deserves some attention and then I'm gonna enjoy it!

Some pix:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13608[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13603[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]13605[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13606[/ATTACH]

=Adam=
                          Hollis, NH
                          Yes it is, I would also Consider getting a luggage rack it really improves the look & if you ride it WILL come in handy I use mine EVERYDAY
                          Oz

Comment

indian run small.jpgindian2.jpg
                            Here is a picture I found of my 45
                            Last edited by 45OZ; 07-29-2014, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Normally, I wouldn't care about judging, but the bike is so nice, it deserves some attention and then I'm gonna enjoy it!
                              That really, really is a nice one! Nice job!
                              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
                              X