'46 Chief Rear Brake Backing Plate Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '46 Chief Rear Brake Backing Plate Removal

I'm looking for guidance on removing the rear brake backing plate on a '46 Indian Chief. Is there a "trick" to getting it apart to reveal the brake shoes? I appreciate any help

You also need to remove the next large nut at plunger to release hollow axle. You will also need to inspect rear bearing and to make sure it is not sloppy in drum.
    Last edited by tomfiii; 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Tomfii's got it, large nut comes off and then the hollow axle is pushed inwards to allow the drum to come off, then the backing plate can come off. And, while you're in there ...as well as inspecting the bearings, you'll find some seals that probably should be renewed, and it's a good time to inspect the rivets on your chain ring.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

IMG_20140615_111209[1].jpgIMG_20140615_111418.jpg

I don't see any other large nuts to remove....do I just need to drive out the hollow axle?

Comment

J... you already took off the large nut to get where you're at right now. The drum needs to come off the backing plate (as if you don't already know that ) So there's no trick, sometimes the shoes have worn the drum enough to create a "trough" where the shoes ride and the drum won't come off because the shoes are in the trough. So you're going to have to do some prying to get the drum off of the backing plate and shoes. Don't go wild with it, but if you begin to pry the drum away from the backing plate then the shoes will "jump" the trough and then the drum will slide off. I guess you also need to rotate the brake cam to ensure the shoes are totally disengaged from the drum... which is probably your first step!

Comment

And if you do replace the drum bearing, use a new type sealed bearing and toss all the seals! BTW, when you re-install the wheel, tighten the lugs at least twice after 10-25 miles. A look at the "oval" holes in the wheel hub will show how often they came loose.

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
              BTW, when you re-install the wheel, tighten the lugs at least twice after 10-25 miles. A look at the "oval" holes in the wheel hub will show how often they came loose.
              ... and I just learned that there is such a thing as too tight... I broke a front wheel bolt two days ago! I wasn't even on it that heavy, 1/2" ratchet is all I was using, no extension, and snap! It was a modern wheel bolt, maybe three years old... I'm going to chalk it up to "manufacturing defect"! Running five instead of six until it rains again!

Comment

Fronts don't self loosen, like the rears. that's why they're entirety differently made. The rears use hardened studs, I 'm not sure the front 1-piece ones are hardened at all. I have some NOS, I should check one.

Comment

Thanks for the all the information, it is extremely helpful!! I will attempt to get it apart this weekend and hopefully have success.

Comment

Success!! I appreciate all the suggestions and guidance!
                    001 (8).jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X