No announcement yet.

Thrust Washer Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my cases together, ended up with .062 and .070 on the pinion and drive if I remember correctly. I don't remember what ended up on the crank pin. I would not put in pitted washers, they are not that expensive. I would not even use used washers unless they were really in good shape and I had to. A washer not fitting flat would not give as much trouble with trueing as not getting a correct measurement for clearance. I was told the important thing is that the thrust washers sit flat in the recesses between the pins. They do go in tight between the pins but must be flat against the face of the flywheel. When I took apart the '48 bottom end I just did there was an extra washer in there on the drive side. I guess the last guy did not have the correct thickness of washers so just put another one in to make up the difference. It did not work too well, it put the flywheels off center and one of the thrust washers on the crank pin was wearing excessively. I was lucky enough to have an assortment of thrust washers and had the thickness combination that worked. Starting out with standard .057/.062 thickness would be a place to start then a measurement could be gotten and some math done to figure out what would work. I have heard that a surface grinder can be used if washers are too thick. I would think that the side that is ground would be put against the flywheel. Hope this helps.

Comment

So what causes one of the crankpin thrust washers to wear excessively? Is this from the rods not being centered in the cylinders?

That was evident on one of the washers on the flywheel set that I am using.

20140611_184730small.jpg
      AMCA #10930

Comment

One of my crankpin thrust washers looked about the same and I am thinking that the rods were not centered. But I also had the situation of the extra washer that would cause the rods to be off centered. I do not have the manual in front of me but the Indian Repair and Overhaul Manual calls out for the rods to be centered in to case to, I believe within 1/64".

Comment

Working...
        X