'53 80" Chief Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 80" Chief Carb

I just noticed (after two years) that this bike has the wrong carburetor. According to www.linkertcarbs.com, it should have an M352 but the same source indicates that a true M352 is a rare thing, and most bikes shipped with that number stamped on whatever body the factory had lying around.

The current carb is stamped M641 (which I understand to be for a 45" Scout) with what is probably a Bonneville nozzle in it. I have it adjusted to where she actually doesn't run too bad - noticeably more torque than a stock 74" - but a little black smoke and a slight tendency to stall if I drop the throttle and spark advance all the way down instantly.

I would be in the market for the correct carburetor in the unlikely event that a good correct one were available. Failing that, I would welcome any advice on what I should do. Is there a better substitute? Can this unit be modified to be closer to the proper one? I'm not really knowledgeable about what is actually different in the body itself from type to type.

Thanks in advance,
    Rich W.

Rich!

M352s were common at one time!
    They are certainly no more rare than your M641.
    Many were left over NOS when Indian folded, so restamps would be modern fudges.

The only un-alterable (or should be considered so) difference with your M641 would be the idle bleeds, and I wouldn't worry about it.
    Just the nozzle, larger venturi, and perhaps a "titted" idle bleed plug would make it virtually identical mechanically.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I was under the impression that the Factory took to restamping carbs after their suppliers cut them off in '53. I defer to Cotton on this subject. I did work on one '53 that had a WLA M88 carb bolted to it. Small venture, nozzle and the choke lever pointing the wrong way. Granted it didn't leave the factory that way but it just goes to show what can change over the years.

Comment

Bill!

Re-stamps do exist, but their origin is dubious:
        352rstmp.jpg
        (The common 'factory' re-stamps were the "Beck" aftermarket series of the Fortys,with an "M-" and "INDIAN" included.)
        M-352s had an idle bleed different from even the Bonne's (on left).BON352.jpg
        Original stamps were consistent:352STMPS.jpg

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-24-2014, 06:53 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom,

I have confirmed that the M641 on my 80" has a Bonneville nozzle and 1 1/8" venturi.

Since a new distributor bushing has miraculously cleaned up a lot of the, ahem, 'carburetor' problems, I'll leave well enough alone and assume that the idle bleed and plug are just fine.

Your knowledge and willingness to help are really appreciated.

Rich W.

Comment

It never hurts to offer "trades" as someone wants or needs the M641 carb and may have or be able to get a M352. The wonders of the internet. And never underestimate the power of the free ads in the magazine. Many of our members don't have computer access and the ads are FREE!

Comment

Working...
            X