1936 Chief rear wheel offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Chief rear wheel offset

I been working on a '36 Chief that I got as a basket. Turns out I had the wrong rear wheel, it was for '37 -'39. So I traded some stuff and got the correct drum and hub laced the wheel up used 2 15/16" offset for pre '46 wheels bolted it up in the frame and noticed that the wheel is not centered in the frame. I am thinking that I may have the wrong offset. Should the wheel ne centered in the frame? From what I can determine the wheel hub is unique for the '35-'36 it is wider than '37-'39 and maybe should have a different offset. Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by Jimmy D View Post
    I been working on a '36 Chief that I got as a basket. Turns out I had the wrong rear wheel, it was for '37 -'39. So I traded some stuff and got the correct drum and hub laced the wheel up used 2 15/16" offset for pre '46 wheels bolted it up in the frame and noticed that the wheel is not centered in the frame. I am thinking that I may have the wrong offset. Should the wheel ne centered in the frame? From what I can determine the wheel hub is unique for the '35-'36 it is wider than '37-'39 and maybe should have a different offset. Any help is appreciated.
    something we've NOT discussed much is the sprocket alignment, which would dictate the hub's position in the frame. Why? because you can't adjust the drive sprocket's position, but you can adjust the hub's position via frame alignment, or wheel (rim) position relative to the hub.
    Front rim, neck, and rear rim should be in the same vertical plane. (until i get slapped up real good over that, that's my story.....)

Comment

In a perfect world, Filibuster,

You are correct of course!

But most of us must just spin the rear wheel and see if the sprocket stays centered within the chain.

.....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I think what I got is a wheel lacing issue. Sprockets look good and in line. Years ago I did have this frame checked for alignment and straightened, got the specs from Bob Stark so I trust them. I took the wheel that is for a '37-'39 and put it in a '38 frame I have and the rim is just about dead center in the frame. I am thinking that this is correct. So the wheel rim for the '36 should also be in the center of the frame?
        Last edited by Inchief; 05-11-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I have a 1931-34 rear wheel as well as a 1938-1945 wheel here which I mesured. Both wheels have original spokes and seem to be original/unmodified.

The vertical distance of the left surface of the hub to the left edge of the rim is 1 3/8" on both wheels. The rim is 3 1/8" wide, so the distance to the center of 2 15/16" shown above is given on both these wheels and I am convinced is also correct on the 1935-1936 wheels as they used a very similar brakedrum and ancoreplate setup as the earlier Chiefs. I have a 1935-36 wheel on another place too which I can check later if needed.

Rgs,
          springfield1901

Comment

I also have a what I suspect is a 37-38 wheel which I think is original and it measures 2 15/16 to the center from the left side of hub, this is the one I put in the 38 frame and it is centered in the frame when bolted to the brake drum. The 38 wheel hub is a bit wider than the 37-38 hub so I would think it would need a different offset. It would be interesting to find out what your original 35-36 wheel measures. Thanks.

Comment

The 1935/1937 rear wheelhub has the same offset on the left side as but protrudes a little on the brake drum side.

I have attached pictures of the 3 wheels - 1931-34 (33 and 34 used different lugnuts, but were the same with this exception), a 1935-36, as well as a 1938-45 wheel, which is basically the same as a 1937 except for the missing alignment pins on the 1937 wheels as far as I know.
              Attached Files

Comment

more pictures.....
                Attached Files

Comment

This is great! Thanks for all the pics this helps a lot. So it seems like 2 15/16 is the correct offset for the '36. Even though the hub is wider the brake drum is narrower which will make up the difference. I set my offset to 2 15/16 and mounted the wheel in the frame and it is pretty much centered in the frame. I attached pictures of the '36 and the '38 brake drum I have, the '36 on the left is narrower than the '38 on right. 36 38 rear drum.jpg

Comment

Gsotti, I'd like to add my appreciation for the time you took to detail all that with photos! Sometimes puzzles like this go unanswered on this forum, so now it's there for others to reference in the future....very valuable and appreciated!
                    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thank you.

It also helps me to get to know more about these bikes I like. I did not notice up to now that the earlier hubs were wider and how this affected the wheel lacing.

Good luck with your builds!
                      gsottl

Comment

I think the pics show that the lacing is basically the same with same offset measured from left or speedo drive side with the hub width differences made up with the matching drums.
                        Nice job on the pics.
                        Tom

Comment

If any of you with extra wheels are looking to get rid of them let me know. I need anything for a '37 Chief. Thanks, Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X