Left side shifter conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left side shifter conversion

I want to switch my 46 chief from right hand to left hand shift so that I can move the throttle to the right grip. Can someone recommend a kit or tell me where to buy the parts? Original would be better but reproduction is ok too. Also, there is very little room between the top cap over the shift lever and the rear cylinder and it looks like I may have to remove or loosen either the transmission or the cylinder. Can anyone advise on what it takes? Thanks, Jim

Greer has all the parts. I bought for my own Chief ('38 rigid). All very nice.

It's pretty straightforward. Indian made the conversions to win police contracts. As did HD. Some may call it sacrilege, but I've managed to ride HD's most of my life and am not looking to learn to shift/throttle with opposite hands at this stage.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

That's where I am too. I've been able to adjust to the left hand throttle but it's too much to think about when I approach and leave a stop in busy traffic. I asked Greer to send me the list of parts needed. Did you switch it over yourself or have someone do it? I'm wondering how much I have to take off or loosen to remove the existing shift lever. Thanks, Jim

Comment

Bike is still in pieces (until I finish my Masters Thesis next month...) but parts are very simple to install from what I can see. It will be a simple conversion you can do at home.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I would like to see pictures when you get it done. Good luck and thanks. Jim

Comment

if you would like to sell any of the right hand shift parts let me know

Comment

This is a picture that I found that shows the differences between the Left and Right shifter setups.

Left and Right Shifters.JPG

Hope it helps

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X