Rigid Frame Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Frame Transmission

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have a '38 chief frame and I am putting a '48 motor in it. As I understand it I need to change the transmission main shaft and the driver gear. I believe the parts are longer for a rigid frame chief. I have some parts that are useable but I am unsure if they are for a rigid or sprung frame. Does anyone have the parts for a rigid frame Chief that they can measure the length of and let me know so I can see if what I got will work. Thanks

Originally posted by Jimmy D View Post
    Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have a '38 chief frame and I am putting a '48 motor in it. As I understand it I need to change the transmission main shaft and the driver gear. I believe the parts are longer for a rigid frame chief. I have some parts that are useable but I am unsure if they are for a rigid or sprung frame. Does anyone have the parts for a rigid frame Chief that they can measure the length of and let me know so I can see if what I got will work. Thanks
    The drive shaft and driver gear are shorter for a rigid frame. I can measure after the weekend if needed.You also need a ridged inner primary cover with straight rather than angled chain adjuster.
    And you will need to fabricate a belt cover when you put generator behind seat post,or else let belt run uncovered.
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      The drive shaft and driver gear are shorter for a rigid frame. I can measure after the weekend if needed.You also need a ridged inner primary cover with straight rather than angled chain adjuster.
      And you will need to fabricate a belt cover when you put generator behind seat post,or else let belt run uncovered.
      Tom
      I measured what I got the drive shafts are 10 7/8" long, all the same lengths. I suspect for later Chief.
      The Driver gears are 2 1/4", 2 5/8" and I got one at 2 7/8" long but it is missing a tooth. I suspect the 2 1/4" for rigid frame and 2 5/8" for late Chief. And yes I have a early primary for rigid frame, I was hoping that a later model belt guard will work.

Comment

Check out Jerrygreerindian web site.He has diagrams with dimensions that help identify the various different year Indian parts 36-53.
        Tom

Comment

Yes Greers had good parts drawings. Helped a lot, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X