Linkert Carb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert Carb.

I need to replace the detent ball & spring for the high speed needle. I see that it is swaged in. Any suggestions before I dive into this blind. I'm thinking of using a small end mill and hand cut the swage to remove it and turn out on a lathe what I think a swaging die would look like to install a new spring. I would be more than happy to hear from those who know. Thanks, Bill

Bill!

Please weld a piece of filler rod upon it, and pull, as shown in the attachment.
    Often this will allow the fresh spring and ball to snap back into place.

The entire procedure takes fifteen minutes of flat-rate. and preserves History.
    Removal of any of the casting makes it far, far more difficult.

...Cotten
    PS: AMWAY barbeque grill coating does wonders to prevent the jeweler's torch from discoloring nickel and other finishes.
    Folks who cut or drill out balls should have their own treated similarly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Bill!

Please weld a piece of filler rod upon it, and pull, as shown in the attachment.
      Often this will allow the fresh spring and ball to snap back into place.

The entire procedure takes fifteen minutes of flat-rate. and preserves History.
      Removal of any of the casting makes it far, far more difficult.

...Cotten
      PS: AMWAY barbeque grill coating does wonders to prevent the jeweler's torch from discoloring nickel and other finishes.
      Folks who cut or drill out balls should have their own treated similarly.
      10-4 I'll need my specs to hit that little spot. Thanks for the info. Glad I asked before I made a mess of this.

Comment

Folks,

I just pulled two from a DLX51,
        and I failed to make flat-rate upon either because of what appears to be an "older restoration" nickel plating, interfering with the adhesion of the filler rods I normally choose first.

Please refer to the recent "Dull Nickel" thread, as this one seems to have been properly plated, although the pickle probably caused the detentes to fail, as well as give me fits.
        So such an authentic finish should still be possible.

(Please beware that modern electroless makes silversolder repairs spread everywhere like a perfect flux, making a simple procedure even more of a mess.)

....Cotten
        PS: Although this piece appears to have been last touched a long time ago, such as heavy fuel deposits and verdigris forming, and the float just pieces of cork, one of the needles still produced a pile of clean, white glass beads.
        Curiouser, and curiouser......
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-20-2014, 05:13 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I still have a natural (bronze) finish so hopefully that won't be a problem. I noodled out the throttle bushing replacement. I tapped the bushing 1/4-20 and screwed a bolt into it and knocked it out with a long drift punch from the opposite side. Used a c-clamp to press the new ones in. A few laps with the honing machine and the throttle shaft fit perfectly.
          Last edited by Bills37; 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Success, worked like a charm Cotton. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X