’48 Chief center stand mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ’48 Chief center stand mounts

I have snapped the center stand off my Chief twice since 1968. I manhandle the bike onto the center stand fully loaded; so, it is subject to a greater stress than it was designed to handle. Indian's instruction to put it on the center stand by tipping it on its side with the side stand extended is something that absolutely will never be done by me. When my bike is loaded with gear for a long camping trip, that sort of maneuver just isn't going to work.

Has anyone developed a reinforced mount for the center stand that will handle the load I put on it?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
    I have snapped the center stand off my Chief twice since 1968. I manhandle the bike onto the center stand fully loaded; so, it is subject to a greater stress than it was designed to handle. Indian's instruction to put it on the center stand by tipping it on its side with the side stand extended is something that absolutely will never be done by me. When my bike is loaded with gear for a long camping trip, that sort of maneuver just isn't going to work.

Has anyone developed a reinforced mount for the center stand that will handle the load I put on it?
    I once had the bike loaded heavy with "tour-pack" off a later harley plus enough more to give me a back rest. Halfway to Davenport I stopped, put up on center stand, and rested feet up on the bars and back against the luggage, almost took a nap. But the center stand bolts sheared, and down we went. Didn't fix it until winter.
    I weigh 250 without dry leathers; yeah, wet leathers weigh more.
    Sorry about your mounts, what the heck? Are you gonna tip the bike upside down for a pic? or do they make mirrors for that?

Comment

What I may have to do is fabricate a mounting point that is several times stronger than what the Motocycle company used. I'll use a better metal alloy and my own design. I buddy of mine is an excellent blacksmith -- and has his late father's '46 Chief and sidecar. Between the two of us, we should be able for come up with something. The center stand itself looks to be plenty strong. It is just the dinky little tabs to which the center stand fastens that is under engineered from the factory.
      We can work on the frame and center stand pivots next winter because I may have the engine & tranny removed to convert to a modern 4 speed, constant mesh transmission.
      Like you, I will rest on the bike when fully loaded and on its center stand.
      Last edited by Coolbreeze; 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM.
      George Tinkham
      Springfield, IL
      www.virmc.com
      AMCA # 1494
      1941 Indian 841
      1948 Indian Chief
      1956 H-D KHK
      1960 CH
      1964 BMW R69S
      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

You could try a ride off stand like brand X(harley) uses.

Comment

Working...
        X