Chief transmission counter shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief transmission counter shaft removal

Haa anyone ever had a time getting the counter shaft out on a 48 chief transmission? I removed the circle clip and tried to "punch" the shaft out through the access hole. Very solid and I can't see any reason on the exploded views for it to not slide on out. Thanks in advance for the hepl.

Originally posted by glasscat View Post
    Haa anyone ever had a time getting the counter shaft out on a 48 chief transmission? I removed the circle clip and tried to "punch" the shaft out through the access hole. Very solid and I can't see any reason on the exploded views for it to not slide on out. Thanks in advance for the hepl.
    I've encountered lock-tite in the bushing/woodruff key area, barely evident to the eye. It took a very brief exercise with my smallest brazing tip, and then some gentle tapping left and right. After I got it out I noticed that the key was a little rough, a little loose in the k-way, ... like maybe my Dad might have fixed it on the farm.

Don't suppose you trans is out of the bike, is it?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's out of the bike and off the motor.
      I should givea little history on me and the bike, I've always worked on old cars and have rode modern bikes for the last 7 years so it was a given at some time I would get an old bike. I've rebuilt a couple of toploader trannys. This bike has been sitting at least since 1996 in a house garage. The previous owner bought it from a government asset seizure auction and never road it. I went through the carb, cleaned and sealed the tanks, purged the old oil out, checked the oil pump and re-bushed the distributor, checked the brakes, etc. The bike fired right up. Before I had a chance to take around the block, the weather went to the every cold side for some time. So, I thought I would check out a few other areas, Pulled the heads, and found a very fresh bore on the cylinders and .20 over pistons and very little carbon build up so it appears that was rebuilt. Pulled the primary cover and checked the clutch pack, very new as well. the problem is the clutch basket is loose. I went ahaead and pulled the motor out and found what looks like a trans that has had some attention. Right side bearing nice and tight and looks like a new felt seal on the output side, clutch side bearing and bushing very loose, odd. The counter shaft rotates but feels just a little tighter than i would have set it up. With the lack of good manuels I'm now looking for advice on how to remove the counter shaft so I can rebuild this trans. It needs a lot of cosmetic work but I am going to ride it as is for the upcoming season the do a complete tear down, piant and such next winter, chace parts this summer. If I can get the tranny done now, I should be past most of the mechanical work so here we are.
      On the issue, I'll try a little heat and see if that frees it up. Just to be sure, there is nothing but the wire clip mechanically hold it in?

Comment

Got it out, someone had not properly reemed the bushings and they were grooved with the shaft. Shaft actually had a blue spot from heat. JG to the rescue, some new bushings, shaft, and a copuple of bearings and it'll be good to go until the budget allows for a OD 4spd. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Make sure the hole isn't blocked by the bushing spacer.

Comment

Working...
          X