Chief Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Transmission

The output shaft bearing seems to be held in by an aluminum nut with 4 half round notches for a tool. If that is correct are the threads left or right hand threads? And what does the tool look like?
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

If the piece in question looks like this

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...y=1946&m=Chief

The then Tool can be found here

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...y=1946&m=Chief
    AMCA #10930

Comment

Thanks, # 17 looks right. The slots in the nut aren't square though. They look like a 3/16" or 1/4" rod roller bearing would lay in the radius half way. All 4 slots are machined that way. Will make it difficult to put any torque on and keep a tool from popping out. Does that make sense?
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I don't have a Chief manual handy but I seem to recall reading somewhere about a crude method involving a "hammer and a punch".
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I've thought about the punch. Actually I need to retract what I said about the spanner holes being round. Cleaned the other 3 and they are pretty nice and square. I tapped a little each way on the bad slot but no movement. Making a wrench now doesn't look too hard, maybe an hr.& a half work. Still need to know if threads are L. or RT.
          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I consulted Bernie Nicholson's book and it makes no specifications on which way the nut is meant to turn. Does one assume then that it's right hand? Don't know for sure... That's cool that your making the tool. It's always satisfying to rig up something in the shop to make a procedure work.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              I don't have a Chief manual handy but I seem to recall reading somewhere about a crude method involving a "hammer and a punch".
              hammer 'n punch is my favorite, 'specially on the shoulder of the road, or somebody else's back yard. Takes a lot of patience, and a feel and an ear for what's tight and not moving vs loose and stiff. And leave the big clubs home, a small one will deliver enough impact to match the torque requirements.
              On getting things loose, that's when it's at risk of damage. But we've overcome the lack of specific tools, successfully, for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
                I've thought about the punch. Actually I need to retract what I said about the spanner holes being round. Cleaned the other 3 and they are pretty nice and square. I tapped a little each way on the bad slot but no movement. Making a wrench now doesn't look too hard, maybe an hr.& a half work. Still need to know if threads are L. or RT.
                In case you are still wondering,the threads are right hand.
                Tom

Comment

I think I laid key stock across the 2 notches when I rebuilt mine if my memory is right.

Comment

I called Kiwi to ck. on a main shaft today (which they have). It is rt. hand threads and they also suggested using key stock with heat. If your not trying to save the seal that works great. Thanks for all the replies.
                    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Working...
                    X