Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a 1942 Chief?

Hello,

The motor and frame numbers appear authentic on my '42 Chief, but are the vin numbers too high for a civilian '42? This motorcycle was restored 30-plus years ago and has a very low Ca Antique Motorcycle plate on it. I'm attaching three photos. Also, there is a timing hole on the case that I've been told shouldn't be there for '42. I'm wondering if the motor was later NOS without numbers and the restorer back then stamped those '42 numbers on it. But the frame stampings look very convincing to me. What say you experts? thanks. -Ted
    Attached Files

I'm not an "expert" but those numbers look legit to me...
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      I'm not an "expert" but those numbers look legit to me...
      I am not an expert,but both numbers appear to be restamps to me.I think the font for a 4 is like this 4,not open on top.Case numbers also seem lighter than most I have seen.Tom

Comment

Tom, you prompted me to take a much better look which resulted in a realization that my initial comment was a little off handed. It's all about the details and I agree with you on the number "4".
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Michael Breeding did a page of engine number stampings a while back. He had examples of a bunch of years. Anyone have one of these catalogs still? Or contact him and get a copy. The numbers look very light, but I'm comparing it my 46 cases, not 42.
          Actually I just found a copy of his pics and they only cover 1946 to 1953, but very informative, as is everything from Michael. The pics are in the Oley, April 26-28, 2002 catalog.
          Last edited by cdf6333; 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I've gotten mixed responses from various sources, but I'm of the belief now that the numbers are re-stamped. At least they are 30 year old 'vintage' re-stampings. Ha. Thanks for your input, guys. -Ted

Comment

Working...
            X