No announcement yet.

48 Chief engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a frame lift on casters to strap the rolling frame and wheels to. I then had the heads off of the motor and made a bracket to bolt onto the top of the cylinders. I then fabricated a C shaped shaped bracked out square tubing with a series of adjustment holes on both the top and bottom part of the C bracket. The bottom bolts to the bracket on the cylinders the C shape get you away from the frame and above it and the top of the C has a eye bolt to attach a hoist to. The adjustment holes let you hang the motor some what level. I put my motor in the Chief by myself with out a scratch in the paint. Once you make the C bracket you can use it on any number of bikes. With the casters you can make small changes with out all the weight to deal with. Thanks Eric the ace wraps work well we use them where I work and after a number of years it finally occured to me!!!!
    Jim D.
    Jim D

Comment

The top motor mount has to be on or a head has to be removed to fit it in. Years ago I had to remove a head on a customers bike to install the top motor mount he "forgot" to install. Unless the motor will drop down enough when the motor mounts are removed? Has anyone installed a top mount with the engine in and heads on?

Comment

Thanks for the link, Eric. I've not seen that thread before, I'm no longer considering powder coat as an option.
        Another issue that hit me last night is about removing the paint from the frame. Do you know what I need to be aware of when I do it or have it done. Is 'sand blasting' an option or is it best to stick with a brush on paint remover. I sure don't want any frame numbers marred by blasting or any chemical residue that may foul a fresh paint job.

Comment

I don't think it's very popular anymore, but don't have a frame chemically stripped in an stripping tank. Using paint stripper from Home Depot, or Lowes is fine but labor intensive. I've had frames professionally sandblasted and that works great and will stress relieve the metal as well, although that isn't important unless you have a lot of straightening, and repair to do. Glass beads, and sand will bounce off electrical tape, and a few layers of masking tape if you can keep it in place over your frame numbers. I stripped the paint off my Excelsior frame last Spring and I used paint stripper and elbow greese. Anymore, I prefer to do that myself becuse I want control, and I'm careful with my own stuff. I've had parts come back from sandblasters that were damaged, and of course, they have no idea how the damage happened. The advantage to doing it yourself is; it's a lot cheaper, and you'll do a better job. The down side; you have to do the work
          Last edited by exeric; 12-04-2013, 07:11 PM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I had mine sandblasted. The media they used was a bit course so ask about that. I ended up wire brushing it after to smooth it all out and filed all of the braze mess they made. I'll post a couple pics of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
              Phil... Phil... Phil! If I was your age I'd probably have muscled it in myself too! But I'm older and wiser now... you'll get there...hopefully with a sound back!

Hey, I think there's an Indian on Ebay right now where the seller says the numbers match but you can't see the frame number because he had it powder coated!

Whoops! Never mind... I thought I'd look at Ebay to see if I knew what I was talking about... but the bike is gone! I swear, I think it was a '46 Chief...very nice... but the seller pointed out in his description that you can't read the frame number anymore due to the powder coating. Phil... another effect of being older can, in some rare cases, be memory degradation.
              Harry you forgot to add the ignorance part in the quote hahaha, oh and my memory is already starting to go! I love getting older!

Comment

Phil, I know your back is good....I've seen you put your Chief up on the center stand in this video : http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UU5I...feature%3Dplcp

From this thread:
                http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...t=Center+stand

...so don't go tryin' to make out that you're getting old, but you're definitely wiser the way you handled that center stand operation!
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Please understand this is just my opinion. Powder coating, now matter how well done, is not proper on a vintage bike of any make. Let the screams roll from the stands and do as you see fit. It is your bike after all.
                  Cheers, G

Comment

I put the motor on its side with a block under the oil pump and across the barrels. Then I lower the frame over the motor. It's easier to control the 85 pound frame than the 185 pound motor. The motor mount bolt goes in from the wrong side, but can be changed after standing the frame upright.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I was leaning toward powder coating because of the low cost, but if there's a chance of the numbers on the frame being covered and not readable....well, I can't have that. I'll stick with paint. I've already talked with a local source who has expierience with single stage painting vintage bikes.
                      Take care,
                      KW

Comment

Working...
                      X