Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief unique cam cover and oil pump

IMG_0192-001.JPGIMG_0193-001.JPG

I had a 1947 mag Chief engine that was stolen back in Jersey during the 80's. It was apart and was strange in that it had the cam cover that I've enclosed a picture of. There was no vent on the cover. It also had a strange oil pump. The pump was like the square late 46 and 47 pump except that it had:
    a. a 3/8" pipe threads (instead of the usual 1/4" pipe threads) in the upper left corner. It used a vent/chain oiler like a Sport Scout
    b. inside the pump body was a machined "plug", with a rubber gasket on each side, to control crankcase pressure, similar to the breather disc.

Are any of these on the road today? I believe the engine number was CDG 6999 but memory and all is iffy. I had these parts down at the shop and still have them. Seem low miles, original gasket was on the cam cover.

Bob, possible that your cam cover and oil pump were set up for a stationary application, or did they come matched up to a frame? I've never seen one like that (but of course there's lots I've yet to see!)
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

cdf, I have a cover like this, without the vent. I think it was from a 38 Chief.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the 1938 cover had the "fingers" that wrapped around the tappet guides, didn't it? I think that all Chief before mid 46 had the bigger cover. Any help here?

Comment

Working...
        X