!947 Chief oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !947 Chief oil pump

Hello I'm a new owner of a 1947 Indian Chief. The engine is knocking and I suspect oil is not getting to the top end.
    I see very little oil bubbling out of the return line in the oil tank, most of the time none.

How steady of a stream of oil should I see coming out of the return.

Thank You in advance for your time and advice !!

The oil just sort of burbles back. When you mention no oil at all... I'm guessing that's at an idle? Did you try to increase the revs a bit to see if flow improved? I see this is your first post on the board. Welcome to the forum!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

on my Sport Scout it's about like a good perking coffee pot, not a steady stream. But it's a pretty constant broken splashes, if you take the cap off. It will shoot oil out onto the tanks and any thing else you don't want oil getting on :-). Is your Chief smoking allot? sometimes, they will wet sump - load the bottom end up with oil and not return to the tank. Can be bad enough to smoke you out of the garage and foul the plugs and stop your engine - over heat. Usually just priming the return tube will git it going again and or draining the bottom end to git it back to the proper level. Might need more than that, just a guess. But I have seen lot's of Indians do it, mine included - as Cory said welcome and good luck with yours.

Comment

Hi Cory

Thank You for your reply. You are correct when idle no oil when I rev the throttle I get inconsistent flow, a little flow then no flow.
        I'm concerned the oil in the tank is not circulating.

Comment

Hi Tom,
          Oil barley pushes out the copper tube No smoke, but very little flow. I would be ecstatic if oil pumped on my tank when I removed the cap. Barley pushes out and some bubbles.
          Could you describe the process of priming the return tube. Are you priming in the oil tank or disassembling and squirting oil down the tube.
          Where are you draining the bottom end, I see there is a plug located at the bottom and left side of the pump is this the correct place to drain.

Thank You Cory and Tom for the warm welcome

Comment

Originally posted by yournamehere1 View Post
            Hi Tom,
            Oil barley pushes out the copper tube No smoke, but very little flow. I would be ecstatic if oil pumped on my tank when I removed the cap. Barley pushes out and some bubbles.
            Could you describe the process of priming the return tube. Are you priming in the oil tank or disassembling and squirting oil down the tube.
            Where are you draining the bottom end, I see there is a plug located at the bottom and left side of the pump is this the correct place to drain.

Thank You Cory and Tom for the warm welcome
            Keep in mind there actually two pumps,supply and return.Drain the cranckcase after running and determine how much oil is in case.Should be about 1/2 cup.If excess in case,check sump scraper screen is not plugged and return fittings are all tight.If these are ok the return pump most likely needs some attention,disassembly,inspection etc.If the amount of sump oil is not excessive then its the supply pump.Usually the plunger is worn.This worn plunger also causes wet sumping while sitting over time.
            Tom

Comment

Getting good advise here, you should git a manual for your Chief first thing + ask folks who have one, if you know any. I do not own a Chief, never have - so I am not familiar with them. Lot's of folks are though and Tom's advise sounds spot on. I did buy a Chief engine recently though, so maybe some day. On my Scout's, there are two plugs on the lower case left side. Top one is correct oil level, bottom one is for draining oil,Good luck!

Comment

I agree with Tom... what Tom said!!! If you don't have a manual just keep askin' the questions... it keeps us on our toes... There is some literature here...
                http://antiquemotorcycle.org/virtual...sort=3a&page=5
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys !! I downloaded the overhaul and owners manual weeks ago, and I have been studying them. Unfortunately the original manuals don't address quirky
                  nuisances that plague vintage motors. I have spent hours reading post by members on this forum, and have learned more from this then a manual. I hope my questions stimulate informative conversations that help others. Thanks again guys.
                  Tom.W

Comment

Working...
                  X