O.S. valve stems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.S. valve stems?

I'm working on a 47 Chief that has worn guides. Are there valves available with oversize stems? +.005" should clean all of them up.
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Todd at Jerry Greer's sells them. https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com
    - Dana

Comment

I think you're mistaken Dana. Nobody sells OS Valves yet. We did this with automotive valves, as the "guides" were just holes drilled in the head, not removable guides. We'd ream to +5. +10 or more.
      But Indian guides are hardened, you're not going to ream these, and they're easily replaced. The new guides are pretty well made and somewhat concentric, so we just replace them.

Comment

I think O/S valves for motorcycles would be a solid idea. Back in the 80's when my bench was covered with pan and shovel heads, I thought about how easy it would be to just hone the borderline guides out to oversize. Seldom do you replace a guide, no matter how careful the installation, or how concentric the guide i.d.-o.d. is without having to remove seat material. On aluminum heads the guide hole is slightly enlarged with every replacement no matter how clean the removal. Just makes sense to hone the guide if not badly worn. I brought the subject up with Ed Rowe one day, his reply was, " Son, you know I'm in the valve guide business don't you?"
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I believe you can install replaceable liners in the guides if your inclined to go that route - RedFred had an article about this.
          AMCA #10930

Comment

you can't put "liners" in hardened Indian guides, tried that over the years. The newer made guides are much much more accurate than the ones in the 60's and 70's. And the new valves are soooo much better too. I like the chromed SS stems personally, I just did a top end (after a car totaled my Chief) and after 25,000 miles replaced the guides but re-used the vales, not a bit of wear. I do make custom valve keepers, which I think helps.

Comment

As a side note,when replacing guides check to see if the covers will fit BEFORE installing guide.

Comment

Cdf6333 posted: "you can't put "liners" in hardened Indian guides"...

AMEN to that!

Doesn't work on H-Ds either.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

What do you mean, covers fit? BTW, I always open up the hole in the upper cover to help align the covers to the threaded guide. I like them to "slide" around on the guide a bit

Comment

Here is the link to a post discussing the article that was in the club magazine - Indian specific application.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...-Guide-Inserts

I have no experience - but I did remember this information.
                    AMCA #10930

Comment

Originally posted by Knotthed View Post
                      Here is the link to a post discussing the article that was in the club magazine - Indian specific application.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...-Guide-Inserts

I have no experience - but I did remember this information.
                      Folks,

Guide liners were developed to be a cheap band-aid for water-cooled auto motors.

The last thing an air-cooled motor needs is a layer of insulation right at a critical hot spot.

I experimented with them on a relatively cooler-running H-D OHV in the Eighties, and found them quite temporary. Worked great in Chevys though!

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                        What do you mean, covers fit? BTW, I always open up the hole in the upper cover to help align the covers to the threaded guide. I like them to "slide" around on the guide a bit
                        The replacement guides were too large at that area ,so a little grinding compound and a pipe and a hour or so and ok.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
                          The replacement guides were too large at that area ,so a little grinding compound and a pipe and a hour or so and ok.
                          I still don't know what you mean Tom. The part that the cover goes over? Why compound instead of a grinder or drill?
                          Confused ( as usual) Bob

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                            I still don't know what you mean Tom. The part that the cover goes over? Why compound instead of a grinder or drill?
                            Confused ( as usual) Bob
                            That was the way I made guides smaller for covers to fit ,as replacements and originals hole wouldn't fit over guide ,so did it that way instead of enlarging hole in cover.

Comment

OK, gotcha ya. But just for common knowledge, I always make sure I have at least a 1/16" slop in the upper guide hole when I assemble a top end so the covers will thread on easily. The three things I do before tightening the jugs are:
                              1. I always take the empty cylinder and just lay it on the block, with the push rods in. Then I drop in the valves and make sure that the valve clearance works. Not too much, not too little. This takes seconds to check and if the valve seats are "sunk", the push rods can be shortened or lengthened (new ones). This sucks to find after bolting it together
                              2. I align the cylinders, using the manifold, without the nuts, to get a straight line between the front and rear intake ports. ( less manifold leaks?)
                              3. I always test the threads on the valve covers and push rod guides first, then after aligning the cylinders with the manifold, I move the covers around till they line up and screw on and off easily. I like the covers to be opened with just fingers,
                              Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                              X