What frame for my "bitsa" Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What frame for my "bitsa" Chief

Alright purists, calm down already. Here is the deal with my thoughts. I have a 46 engine, primary, and trans. I have a leaf spring front end. I have lots of the misc that would be needed to build a bike, wheels, H bars, controls, etc. The question is, what years of the rigid frame Chief can I use for the frame? I would like to match it to the pre 40 front end I have.
    Or do I bite the bullet and build a Chout and use a different front end? I just want to put my parts on the road under my butt.
    Cheers All, G

Originally posted by gboblebeef View Post
    Alright purists, calm down already. Here is the deal with my thoughts. I have a 46 engine, primary, and trans. I have a leaf spring front end. I have lots of the misc that would be needed to build a bike, wheels, H bars, controls, etc. The question is, what years of the rigid frame Chief can I use for the frame? I would like to match it to the pre 40 front end I have.
    Or do I bite the bullet and build a Chout and use a different front end? I just want to put my parts on the road under my butt.
    Cheers All, G
    I really like the ridged chiefs and for what your doing any chief frame,I believe from 34-39 at least works.Everything fits ,just spin the generator around.Although I woud be comftorable with any of these frames my preference would be the later years with full neck casting 36-39.I don't know much about the kiwi repro frames except they look nice.
    Have fun
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      I really like the ridged chiefs and for what your doing any chief frame,I believe from 34-39 at least works.Everything fits ,just spin the generator around.Although I woud be comftorable with any of these frames my preference would be the later years with full neck casting 36-39.I don't know much about the kiwi repro frames except they look nice.
      Have fun
      Tom
      Tried to edit post to add you will also need inner primary cover ,sprocket driver gear and mainshaft for ridged frame.

Comment

I never thought about the primary being different. Thank you. I guess it sort of becomes a waiting game to see what pops up.
        Cheers, and thanks for the info!

Comment

Why not try to trade the engine for one closer to the year you want to build?

Comment

Originally posted by gboblebeef View Post
            Cheers All, G
            I'd think that leaf-spring could trade for a lot more than another front end, and you'll need some more parts, huh? Post-war frame gets you closer to riding.
            Otoh, a 1945 or military ran a leaf spring front end.......

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
              you will also need inner primary cover ,sprocket driver gear and mainshaft for ridged frame.
              Why the primary cover? I am putting a 47 poerplant in my 37 frame for now. I have it mocked up and it fit in there fine.

I would keep the leaf spring front end for the bike you are building they are way cool! I think a chout would be so much fun!

Comment

Originally posted by phillie View Post
                Why the primary cover? I am putting a 47 poerplant in my 37 frame for now. I have it mocked up and it fit in there fine.

I would keep the leaf spring front end for the bike you are building they are way cool! I think a chout would be so much fun!

Take a look at the primary drive chain adjuster on the cover bottom..The plunger type has angled adjuster,the ridged has straight,due to the frame width difference.The early cover doesn't fit the plunger frame.Maybe the plunger cover will clear the ridged frame.Let us know.
                Tom
                Last edited by tfburke3; 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Ok I will take a look next time I am out working on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X