1947 Chief in the Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
    Buying tools is not spending money... it's investing it. A good Craftsman set won't break the bank and they are fundamentally excellent tools. You can get a large SAE set from them for relatively short $$. Everything you ever need for a Chief. While you are at it... get a set of files...
    and an SAE Tap and Die set. Mainly for chasing threads. Sears sells a good set.

Also a (bench) wire brush that you can use to wire brush and buff small parts.

A small bench-top parts-washer is a great investment for the kind of cleaning you will be doing (cruddy wheel bearings and crusty old grease...). Northern Tools has some cheap ones that work far better than you would expect for the $$. Fill with some Gunk degreaser and your cleaning tasks will be much simpler!

And if you haven't found one already, buy an Indian Manual! The reprints of the military manuals are really first rate and not expensive. It's what I have and is very good.

You probably want some Leather rejuvenator for that seat, too. Leatherique brand rejuvenator is the best I've ever found, but there are other good leather restoration products out there.

The project is, as I think I said, gorgeous and will be first rate. It looks like 99 percent cleaning... and careful recommissioning and you'll have a dream bike!

Keep the pictures and questions coming, everyone here is looking forward to hearing (and seeing) your progress and to helping you get on the road!

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Thanks for the kind words and advice. Very cool that my job gives me safety points every six months that I can redeem for stuff. Gonna grab a Craftsman Mechanic's Tool Set. 184 pieces I think. Already have the tap & die set. I'll píck up a file set too. And I have enough safety points to spring for the bench grinder as well. Good idea about the bench top parts cleaner too. And I will get some Leatherique because I also have the original saddle bags with the bike as well.

Cleaning will reveal, I think, a beautiful machine underneath. That will be my first order of business. Very cool too! I'm going to pick her up the same day as my birthday! Now, that's a helluva present to give oneself. And speaking of cleaning....any advice on cleaning solutions? I have many more pics of the bike as she sits right now. We are headed into port at this time. Once we get in I'll post them up for you guys to eye them over and give me your assessment.

This forum will be a Godsend as I bring this beauty back to life!

Thanks!
    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
    1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
    1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Gunk makes a foaming engine degreaser. It goes on sale at Wally World all the time for pretty cheap. Buy a case of 12 cans. It's a great solvent and water soluble, so after it 'works' you hose it off.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
      X