Need Tire Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Tire Suggestions

Lost a chunk of tread from the rear tire on the old dried up Goodyears that were on the bike when I bought it so am looking to replace both tires ASAP. My only experience with cycle tires is off-road so am looking to get enlightened on whats best for the 48.

Started looking at original type tires from Coker but also would consider a modern tire depending on pros and cons. I try to keep the bike original appearing but might make an exception for a safety related item like tires. And if a modern tire, what is the metric equivalent to 5.00x16.

Appreciate all suggestions. Thanks
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

I have good luck with Coker on both my HD and Indian.
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

Howdy sir,

Avon SM-Mk II's have a vintage look with the benefit of modern tire compound hysteresis. Continental K112's look a little "newer" - like a tire from the 50's or 60's - and also have less of the balloon look more appropriate to our era, but some folks like the tighter feel and more communicative handling. I've used 4.50 x 18 Cokers on my Four for 20 years and were perfectly happy with them. Will exchange faster tire wear on their soft compounds for better grip any day than my rock hard Tiawanese Armstrongs that look great but will scare you silly on wet pavement.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I'll second the comments on the Avons and Continentals. I have a set of each type on a couple of Panheads. If you have "rain grooves" in your area, however, avoid the Avons as they will scare you silly as they dance around.
        VPH-D

Comment

Thanks All for the responses.

I was homing in on the Avons or Coker Classics but forgot about the rain groove issue. Rarely a ride when I don't encounter them here in SW PA. Those and the metal grate style bridge decks make it squirmy. Add some moisture to the smooth metal decking and its more interesting yet. The old Goodyears have the linear tread pattern as well so even though I'm used to it and sometimes a source of amusement, I don't like it.

The Coker Classic appears to have a tread pattern very similar to my old Goodyears so assume they would be affected equally by pavement grooves. Can anyone confirm that? These seem to be the least expensive option at $134
          http://www.cokertire.com/popular-tir...wall-tire.html

The K112 Continental; best price I could find is $151 and looks pretty attractive otherwise.
          http://www.conti-online.com/www/moto...b2k112_en.html

The Coker Indian Script tire @ $164 has even more of a horizontal pattern which should resist the tracking problem on grooves.
          http://www.cokertire.com/popular-tir...wall-tire.html

So far it looks like options with a non-linear tread pattern would be the Coker Indian script or the Conti.
          Last edited by Skirted; 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM.
          Jason Zerbini

Comment

Jason, you didn't mention this Firestone one:
            http://www.cokertire.com/popular-tir...otorcycle.html

Its sold on the Coker site, I'm considering this one but have yet to hear good/bad/or indifferent comments on them. I also have an Indian script tire that I purchased new (not from Coker) and it was manufactured poorly... the sidewall has a slight bulge in it.
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I liked the Coker's except they did not last long enough, if I remember right. About 3,000 miles and I needed a new back tire. After a couple set's, no longer on Cokers. Dunlope, Avon's,Continentals and Chinzing's ? spelling All have lasted much better, don't look as antique but handle nice. Good luck with your's.

Comment

Continental K112's are the best all around tire I've found. I ride in rain, snow, etc. and they work great...I'm also from PA.
                I have used these on my bikes for 30 years...the tread style has been around that long.
                I run them on my knuckle and a Pan that I use for a road bike. I also use the Coker Firestone tires. They work good but wear out fast.

http://knucklebuster1939.blogspot.co...-hardware.html

Comment

A friend building a chief, has tires that appear to be vintage-style, but are so balloon-ish they must be for a door-slammer! (that's an exaggeration) I've never seen 5.00 x 16's quite that big. They barely fit in his fender, and I'm certain he needs to replace them. Can't remember detail numbers or description, it was several months ago, kinda dark in there (my eyes are old,too), but the guy was clue-less as to his problem. .. must ask:
                  Has anybody seen 5.00 x 16's that are about 3/4" wider than normal? ... buyer beware?

Comment

A friend building a chief, has tires that appear to be vintage-style, but are so balloon-ish they must be for a door-slammer! (that's an exaggeration) I've never seen 5.00 x 16's quite that big. They barely fit in his fender, and I'm certain he needs to replace them. Can't remember detail numbers or description, it was several months ago, kinda dark in there (my eyes are old,too), but the guy was clue-less as to his problem. .. must ask:
                    Has anybody seen 5.00 x 16's that are about 3/4" wider than normal? ... buyer beware?

Comment

After much agonizing I ordered the Conti K112s. Found a great deal from Chapparral Motorsports. $135 ea and free shipping.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
                      Jason Zerbini

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Fattest 5.00 x 16 in the modern era would almost have to be the Coker Firestone replica when it came out. One of the smallest if anyone remembers Carlisles was their zig zag, sorta like a 95% scale of normal. The tallest were the replica Armstrong zig zags made in Taiwan, the last sold in volume by appropriately enough Taiwan Ted who seized on their cult status at the end charging over $200 a piece and that was 1996 ish. I still have 5 NOS napping in air conditioned comfort of a clothes closet. The last pair I saw NOS on the market were at Kiwi's booth at a meet back in the late 90's for $800. These used to arrive new flat as a pancake when deflated as though they had been stored in a stack a 100 ft high. They weigh almost 17 lbs and so stiff they can be run flat. The beads are brutally stout making them difficult to mount. Like the original Michlin radial roadhandlers, they last forever but are positively dangerous in the wet.

Coker Classics. The originals had open tread siping right down the center of the tire with unsupported tread blocks on either side making for a very vague and wandery feel at speed due to squirm, especially when new with tall tread. The later versions conjoin these two tread blocks with a very narrow siping in the center giving much better support and emparting far better feel. I have one of the earlier ones on the back of my Knuckle and can't wait for it to wear out.
                        Last edited by PRG; 08-16-2013, 01:18 PM.
                        Cheerio,
                        Peter
                        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Two questions ... 1) Has anyone any experience with a 16" on the back and 18" on the front of a big twin? I have a 1940 EL, and prefer the 18" due to the handling in front, but also like the look of the fatter 16-500. Any hypothesis if this combination would result in any handling, safety issues? Obviously it would result in a slightly lower rear stance, but would that look cool or wierd? 2) In looking at the Avon SM-Mk II's, it seems like sellers list them as a "rear" tire ... any issues with using them on front also?
                          Vic Ephrem
                          AMCA #2590

Comment

Common as dirt as a combination. The OD of the two is nearly identical so it does not change the stance. It just gives you lighter steering feel and less rotating mass, a good thing up front.
                            The Avons are fine on either end.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Are all motorcycle tires made in china or taiwan?
                              Len.
                              AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                              X