1946-47 Instrument panel markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946-47 Instrument panel markings

Are there mfg marks on original/reproduction instrument panel covers?

I have 4 covers.
    Two are marked underneath with a 2 and an S inside a diamond.
    One is marked with a 3 only and shows poor quality casting around ammeter hole (older reproduction?).
    The fourth is chrome plated aluminum and unmarked.

All are known to be 1975 or older. All have issues.

How can you tell original from older or current reproductions?

Are current reproductions good quality castings?
    Thanks

Mine has a single marking on it, a "1" stamped into it and located underneath between the ammeter and ignition holes. Not chromed, but polished aluminum. I figure it's original to the bike (it's got some pitting), but I'd like to hear what others have to say on the matter!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
      Mine has a single marking on it, a "1" stamped into it and located underneath between the ammeter and ignition holes. Not chromed, but polished aluminum. I figure it's original to the bike (it's got some pitting), but I'd like to hear what others have to say on the matter!
      I want wasn't sure from OP if question was for Chief.Usually posts that don't mention make,I assume are HD.
      I have several 38-47 covers I can look at for you.Not sure if 46-47 markings are different,but am unaware of any differences in cover.Later,
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
        I want wasn't sure from OP if question was for Chief.Usually posts that don't mention make,I assume are HD.
        I have several 38-47 covers I can look at for you.Not sure if 46-47 markings are different,but am unaware of any differences in cover.Later,
        Tom
        Quick look ,my 47 cover has the big 1 and S inside diamond between gauge holes.Holes are about 2.18 with inside bevel untouched.
        A cover for a 38 project has a 2 and the S diamond with holes smaller @2.14,so about 1/16 smaller.This cover fits perfect to a black 38 batwing switch.I don't have correct ammeter,but the inside bevels on holes are also untouched.If the smaller holes are earlier I would think they would be number 1.Some repops also don't have the right cut out shape for frame.
        Tom

Comment

Tom, okay, now I'm cornfused... Fredthecat posted it in the Chief section so I figured he was asking about Chief parts. Are the panels you have for HD or Chief?

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            Tom, okay, now I'm cornfused... Fredthecat posted it in the Chief section so I figured he was asking about Chief parts. Are the panels you have for HD or Chief?
            sorry,I saw it as "new post" and didn't think to look at section posted,just assumed HD until I saw your post,and figured it was about chief.
            My covers described are indeed Indian Chief.
            Tom

Comment

Yep, looking for '47 Chief help, in Chief section. I'll be more specific in future.

Anyone have an original vg-ex, no cracks, extra holes, restorable, 1946-47 Indian Chief intrument panel cover marked 2 and S in diamond, for sale or trade?

What foundary company forged the s in diamond marked panels?

Comment

I think I will just post less.Sorry for the confusion.
                Tom

Comment

I think I will just post less.
                  Tom
                  Tom! Don't do that, we need all the posting action we can get on this site! No harm, no foul!
                  H.

Comment

Tom, I need all the help I can get, Thanks, I'll try to clarify what I need to ask. All input helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X