Chain length / Rear axle distance, 47 chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain length / Rear axle distance, 47 chief

What is proper center distance between front and rear sprockets on 47 Chief? i.e. What is correct position of rear axle in rear shock arm mounts with chain adjusted?

Running 25T front/43T rear sprockets. No old chain to measure. Adjusting New 116 link chain puts rear axle/adjusters at extreme rear travel limit.

Center axle, remove chain link(s) to fit?

Thanks
    ftc

Have you ever done a chain installation ever? Procedure is axle all the way forward put chain around sprocket with ends at rear sprocket to see how many links to cut off,chain at that point should have enough slack to move axle back just a little so you can move back forward if it gets to tight.

Comment

Thanks. Only experience changing chains was Nortons and BSAs, and they aways had an old chain to use for length. Wanted to make sure Indian didn't "need" 116 links as sold by vendor for some alignment reason. Didn't seem right...it wasn't. Chain too long.
      Trying to do it right, but reassembling someone elses project I didn't take apart, parts missing, no example to view, novice at big bikes.

Thanks, just what I needed to know. I'll make it fit...right!

Comment

Working...
      X