Little number soldered on the back of my Chief Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little number soldered on the back of my Chief Tanks

I stripped the 1970's paint and 1/8" bondo off two of the most perfect, straight and clean tanks I have ever seen. No question they are original... battleship steel! Nicely leaded on all the corners and a ripple has lovely leading on the left tank.

Of note, on the backs of each tank was a little 3/8" square of steel, soldered on. One had a very distinct number 7 stamped into it. The other had a somewhat less-distinct number 2.

I will guess that these were the ID numbers of the tank solderers/assemblers? But not sure if that is right. Does anyone know for sure what these are?

Love finding these kinds of things... they connect us with the people who put things together. If these are assemblers marks... I wonder if anyone in Indian-country knows who number 7 and number 2 were in 1938?

BTW, frequently on some of the early British iron we work on, we find personal stamps put on parts by assemblers. We've found Masonic marks and other symbols that would denote a craftman's level, his union, his job or his trade... his trade mark. Just a couple of weeks ago, we found a couple of Column symbols stamped into a crossmember. Assume Marks. Totally unauthorized by RR, but it was probably overlooked on the shop floor as it was tradition and probably the privilege of a master, company rules or not. One more hammer blow in a busy shop that goes un-noticed...

Be interested to see if anyone knows the answer...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Soldering a tank yesterday i noticed I had what I think was a Y but I don't have the tank in front of me. 3/8 tab two tacks of solder.

Comment

Working...
    X