question about clutch worm nut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about clutch worm nut!

The nut for the clutch worm is fit into the primary cover, yet I don't know how far it is supposed to be pressed in there. I don't think mine is in far enough, should it go all the way in until the shoulder rests against the case? Pressed in or tapped in? Thanks!
    clutchwormnut.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

It should be in further ;the sleeve should be flush with the inside of case. You have to heat any aluminum part that has a pressed in part to about 200 degrees before using force to move it,make sure it is supported properly.

Comment

I heat a lot hotter than 200. I use 350 as a start and usually the parts fall in. Engine cases, trans cases, cam cover, etc. Just remember to nut and bolt any parts, like the gen bushing, that you don't want to fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
        Just remember to nut and bolt any parts, like the gen bushing, that you don't want to fall out.
        Right!!! I would have found it on floor of the oven... thanks for the replies from both of you!

Comment

put the worm in the freezer and right as you are done heating the case grab the worm from the freezer it will go in way easier. The cold shrinks the steel. We do this all the time putting together our racing rear end axle tubes and bells. we put the aluminum or magnesium parts on a heat plate on the highest setting.

Comment

Can't tell from the picture if it is top ot bottom view. If it is taken from the top the hole in the nut will not line up with the drain hole on the inside of the cover.
            Ed
            Ed Glasgow
            # 2053
            http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

I actually pressed it out and re-set it to full depth with the hole in the correct spot! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X