Fender trim 1938 Indian Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender trim 1938 Indian Chief

I will post some pictures later today... but am stripping the fenders on my '38 Chief. I can say the condition of the metal is amazing.

However, the fenders seem to have had a row of holes filled on each side, above the 'step' line. Almost like there was once a chrome strip? In addition, two holes (on the front) appear to have been filled near near the forks. These holes were about the size of a penny. And the holes were filled for the spring bumper... but there is also one more hole that has been filled. Maybe as if it had been drilled for a light, not a rubber bumper? That said, the spacing is perfect for the rubber bumper.

They are almost certainly original fenders. The bike was restored mid-70's and not much repop stuff was available then. But I am wondering if this was a skirted fender that could have been cut off? The sides just look too good for that. The lines are perfect. But it's a theory. Other thought is that someone updated it after the war for a fender light and put chrome strips on. Certainly returning GI's loved their chrome after years of geen and grey.

Rear fender looks to be wholly original. And magnificent. No rust at all under the 1/4 inch of Bondo that had apparently been applied with a bulldozer. WTF were people thinking back then? You have the straightest metalwork I have ever seen with no rust and no holes. Let's butter it with bondo and sculpt a fender out of it.

I'll post some pictures....

Cheers,

Sirhr

Mysteries solved... Looked at it with Pisten Bully and we decided that one set was from saddlebag mounts and the other pair was from a pair of bullet lights.

They are definitely original fenders. Or, more accurately, armor plate. That's from back in the day when sheetmetal was sheetMETAL!

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Working...
    X