crankcase vent disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankcase vent disc

does anyone have an opinion on wether to use a vent disc or not on a 32 chief ? and does anyone know the factory setting for the oil pump. i seem to be getting much to much oil. thanks chris

Chris,

Yes,you should use the vent disc. Be absolutely sure it floats freely in the little housing, sometimes it will hang up on the gasket, so be sure it isn't doing that. You can hear it clicking , even over the noise of the engine. So far as adjusting the oil pump, there is no factory setting. It is a long process to get it set just right. Start with the oil level set to the bottom of the top crankcase drain hole. Ride for about 25 miles and drain everything above that and measure it. If much extra comes out, turn the pump down and ride again. Repeat until you get it to where after a 25 mile ride, the oil level is right at the bottom of the top drain hole. Note that the 31 and up adjustment was opposite the 28-30 style. Turning the front horizontal adjusting screw in will increase the flow of oil, out will decrease the flow. Another thing to look at is how well the rotating drum fits inside the pump body. There should be .001-.0015" of clearance. More than that and the oil will just run around the drum and into the motor, bypassing the adjustment all together. Also, check that the hand oil pump check valve does not leak. Remove the oil line and shut off valve at the pump and do an overnight drip test. Be sure the tank is full. Ideally, nothing should leak past that check valve. If it is, look into that, maybe a new check ball is in order, and you may need to lap the body as well. I use a new steel ball, weld a brass rod to it and use the rod to spin the ball with fine lapping compound to get it nice and clean. Replace the spring too if it's weak.

The other thing that can be troublesome about the 31-33 oil pump is there is a throttle controlled setting that increases pump output as the throttle is opened. The best thing to do here is disconnect that feature and leave it at the low setting, as it tends to put in too much oil, especially if you have pistons with oil control rings.

Be patient and methodical in your adjustments and you can dial it in. Good Luck!

Gene

Comment

thanks gene, i did run it for about 20 min. at slow speeds as iam breaking in the motor, with the oil pump throttle wire still on and found i had an extra 5 ozs of oil when i removed the top drain screw...i will continue with small changes in the feed with the book saying turn screw out to slow feed....thanks again chris

Comment

Working...
      X