Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does a skirted fender Chief weigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a skirted fender Chief weigh?

I've seen 550 pounds listed as the weight for a 1946 Chief.

Reason I ask is I'm looking for an inexpensive "chase" vehicle and I've seen one rated at 600 pounds, slides in the hitch receiver and I've already got a pick-up truck. Hope to never need it, but in case something catastrophic breaks and I can't do a roadside repair, I'd like the peace of mind knowing I won't have to leave my bike somewhere if I can't fix it right then. And a nice trailer... well I don't want to invest in something I hope will never get used!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
    I've seen 550 pounds listed as the weight for a 1946 Chief.

Reason I ask is I'm looking for an inexpensive "chase" vehicle and I've seen one rated at 600 pounds, slides in the hitch receiver and I've already got a pick-up truck. Hope to never need it, but in case something catastrophic breaks and I can't do a roadside repair, I'd like the peace of mind knowing I won't have to leave my bike somewhere if I can't fix it right then. And a nice trailer... well I don't want to invest in something I hope will never get used!
    Your 550 is 10# over what I weighed my 47 at some years ago, pretty much standard trim, no bags.
    I don't want to haul a trailer around either, but a taller topper with winch-action ramp gear all the way to the front is what I'll probably do some day soon, as my 60-yr-old back has been complaining about those scrap channel-iron ramps.
    I'd also like the rig to double as a service stand. I hate wrenching on my knees.

Comment

Thanks Fillibuster, good information!

I recall reading an opinion that one contributing factor to the loss of market share for Indian was that their machines kept getting heavier without a corresponding increase in performance, especially with the addition of skirted fenders, and that this problem was most noticeable with the Sport Scout. So if Indian was possibly sensitive to this criticism I thought, well maybe they were intentionally understating the weight of their machines!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

A Harley VL weighs in at 540 pounds so 550 for a skirted Chief must be close.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

How heavy? That's a moving target, but in a word, way heavier than they used to be. This was 2007 before Eustis and that's a 41 Four I casually used to run up a ramp, jauntily jump up into the back of the van and then push it into the blocks for a strap down. All single handidly with no wheezing.

That game's long over.
          Attached Files
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
          X