Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use on spark plug threads before tightening down to head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use on spark plug threads before tightening down to head?

Hi Fellow Members,

Bought a 1946 Indian chief sometime back, enjoying every moment of it. I noticed the spark plug on my front cylinder was a bit lose. The front cylinder does have an insert installed on it, the insert seems to be in place pretty good. The spark plugs on the bike are the Indian script ones that Jerry Greers sells. I am able to remove the spark plug without any issues using the angular wrench Jerry Greers manufactures. I would like to know the right procedure to tighten it down. I read some people use loctite blue and some use anti seize compound, wanted to check here before I went and did something stupid .

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Sunny.

Some Never Seez is a good idea. LocTite is not needed (or should not be) and the heat of a plug/head will basically loosen the LocTite anyway.

The best thing you can do is always make sure that you have a new copper crush washer on the plug whenever you put a plug in. It's a one-time-use crush washer. Most people overlook this. They just keep using the one ring that shipped with the plug. But it's this copper crush ring that matters more than Loctite or Never Seez.

You can buy those washers in bulk or independent of a plug, BTW.

The NeverSeez should not be needed, but graphite is never bad when putting together unlike metals. But since you mentioned you had inserts, it's not really needed.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Where can I find copper crush washers, are they readily available in auto parts stores?

Thanks,
      Regards,
      Sunny.

Comment

Auto parts stores... hardware stores that have a good selection of "Wurth" or similar binned hardware.... eBay.... Not hard to find. Two main types. Copper/fiber (thin copper shell over fiber core. Or solid copper. Solid copper takes a bit more torque, but is more rugged. Fiber core type is probably perfect for a nice low-compression Indian with inserts in the head. When putting the washer on, rub a little oil on it. Helps keep it from galling onto the plug/insert.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... I've a '38 Chief with a '46 motor. I have the original cases and am building a '38 motor piece by piece from eBay and I'll swap them later this year. But can say from experience that your '46 is a great powerplant. Enjoy.

Comment

Aviation supply outfits have stuff made by Champion, I think it is a graphite based product. I think it is good to use so a plug doesn't get stuck in a head. Stuck plugs probably doesn't happen much in the antique bike circle as our bikes are treasured and babied. But I have seen it too often in aircraft engines and it can be a nightmare. (we always change the copper gasket each time the plug is removed). If you use any sort of anti-seize on your plugs remember it is usually metallic based and can short your plugs. To remedy this don not put any on the last couple threads so that it won't get onto the firing surface.

Comment

Sirhr,

Thanks for the super quick response. I will go and get some copper crush washers today evening.

Would love to see some pictures of the 38 once it has been built. I used to own a 2007 Softail Deluxe prior to my Indian, don't think I would ever want to ride anything but one of these old bikes. They are way too much more fun .

Regards,
            Sunny.

Comment

Thanks Camsaure will use anti-seize only on the first few threads.

Regards,
              Sunny.

Comment

tappet 5.jpg

indian 2.jpg

A couple of pix. Bike itself and the cases after Many hours of cleaning. As I start putting motor together, I'll definitely be posting more pix on the Chief Thread.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Funny, I never has a problem with plugs getting loose until I tried Greer's plugs. Same thing happened, more than once on my four.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I have been to 7 auto parts stores, national chains and local good stores and none have washers. Local said they used to sell them years ago but don't anymore. Any ideas?
                    Thanks, Bob
                    Bob Selph
                    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                    1940 Sport Scout
                    AMCA#15215

Comment

Originally posted by bselph View Post
                      I have been to 7 auto parts stores, national chains and local good stores and none have washers. Local said they used to sell them years ago but don't anymore. Any ideas?
                      Thanks, Bob
                      Factor the diameter of the crush washer you want to use, and then look for plug manufacturers that supply plugs of the given size. Not certain why copper is the commoditiy you seek unless a point bike, but for a rider you might find the crush washer on available plugs in the market already.

Or you can look here: http://aaok.com/copper-crush-washer-...ark-plugs.html

or maybe here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...ashers-122-Pc-

Good luck and happy motoring!

Comment

Thanks, I don't have to have copper. I just need the washers that are 2 piece with the soft center just like those on all spark plugs today. If I can't find them the AAOK copper will work. They are just a little pricey.
                        Bob Selph
                        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                        1940 Sport Scout
                        AMCA#15215

Comment

My guess is that since people don't change their plugs any more... (modern vehicles being what they are) that washers are not available like they used to be.

Here are some that should work... same seller has different diameters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M16-16mm-Cru...a5a300&vxp=mtr

Other place to try is Aircraft Spruce. They have an amazing selection of hardware.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr,

I was going to reach out to you since I tried a few stores and no one had the copper crush washers in stock. Can you please confirm is this is the right washer:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...lickkey=377246

Thanks,
                            Regards,
                            Sunny.

Comment

Bob, Sunny, and All!

Anyone with a lathe can cut you a seal washer to any thickness or material you desire.

The reason I mention thickness, is that some folks are even obsessed with the indexing of the electrode, for performance of course.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X