1947 Chief cast iron Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief cast iron Oil Pump

Was the case iron oil pump body and bottom plate on a 1947 Chief painted or cad. plated from the factory?
    Can any one help me with this Question.

It is my understanding they were cadmium plated until Indian went to the aluminum pump. I cad plated the pump for my '40 Chief.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for your reply to my post. That was what I was thinking it was but wasn't sure.
      Do I have to watch out for anything when the plater cadnium plates the pump so it doesn’t affect its operation, like the plunger and gear area surfaces?

Comment

49Panhead!

Ordinarily, cad is a thin layer, and does not deposit upon edges as dramatically as other electroplates. Indeed, it is a lubricant, and assists rubbing surfaces.

However, it is obvious that your assembly must be in working order before it is broken down for cosmetics.

Although there is a total lack of congruity among shops offering testing, testing is still always prudent with an Indian oil pump, particularly for the sump return.

Good luck!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yes, it is very prudent to get your Indian oil-pump tested for proper pressure. I know two guys that have owned there bikes since the 60's, one a '50 Chief, the other a '51, and both pumps failed causing the engines to seiz. I immediatly removed three of my pumps from my Chief's and sent in to get tested; two needed new gears, and one tested out good. Better safe than sorry.
          Last edited by Lonewolf_51; 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X